It is currently 19 Oct 2018 10:59

1963 Farina needing a new petrol tank....

• Author

Leanne

1963 Farina needing a new petrol tank....

Post21 Jun 2018 13:24

Can anyone help please, my daughter has borrowed a 1963 Farina, which needs a new petrol tank, but we can’t find one anywhere, well we did buy one from eBay, which was claiming to fit, but it’s totally wrong, any ideas or words of advice would be great please.........

Chairman Ed

Re: 1963 Farina needing a new petrol tank....

Post21 Jun 2018 16:40

If you are a club member, you can contact club spares man Derek Minter who I happen to know has a brand new petrol tank.

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post21 Jun 2018 17:46

Mk1 & Mk2 tanks are totally different. Mk1's can get by using a MG Midget/AH Sprite tank, just a few mods to boot floor needed. But Mk2's are extremely rare.

Keith Bennett

Post21 Jun 2018 20:08

Hello Leanne, thanks for contacting us for help. My colleagues all make good points - the Mk2s always proved difficult to source tanks for - but of course if your daughter has 'only' borrowed the car, she naturally won't want to enter into any maintenance expense.

I have to say, though, that the owner will find themselves in just the same quandary regarding keeping the car on the road with a failing petrol tank. Because A40s are now quite rare, it would be a shame if it's scrapped purely because it's not roadworthy. For an annual subscription of £17.50 access opens to the very comprehensive stock of spares which the Club holds on behalf of its members, and Chairman Ed's correct that our Derek does indeed have a brand new tank, the fitting of which would solve your daughters - and the car's hapless owner - a great many problems.

Do please consider joining us - we exist primarily to support owners of the Austin A40 Farina and would be delighted to welcome you into our Club.

Leanne

Post24 Jun 2018 10:59

Thanks guys, you’ve been really helpful, and yes I will look into signing up as although someone has managed to fabricate a tank to fit for now, we might look into swopping it over in time.......... I know my daughter has only borrowed the car for now, but we are hoping to buy it once all’s running smoothly. Oh and can I ask, we think we might need a new passenger door lock, (the bit that is joined to the car, not the door) keeps working lose.......... could I use an A30/35 one? or will only A40 fit...........

Kindest regards, Leanne :D

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post24 Jun 2018 11:17

Hi Leanne. You'll love the car, do buy it, or should i recommend your daughter buy it........ you'll get so many positive responses from Mr & Mrs Public :- dad had one, learned to drive in one, nurse had one, relative had one, neighbour had one, etc etc blahdy blahdy blah ! ! We're a friendly bunch, don't eat people, though might look at them a bit oddly......... But what we don't know about A40s can be written on the proverbial stamp !
Don't know myself about your doorlock query, but i'm sure someone will. ( I bet our Derek can help with an A40 one......... ).
Do join our club :D

Leanne

Post24 Jun 2018 11:35

Thanks Dave, we, my daughter and me :) would love to join your club, I just can’t work out how to as yet......cos I know as much about computers as I do cars.......and that’s not a lot.......haha
my daughter is upgrading the lights on ‘Annie’ at the min, she had been fiddling with the lock for over an hour and has gave that up for now, to wait on any reply we might get.....from you lovely lot......
Oh news flash, she’s just came in and told me she’s done the lights, swopped em over piece of.....cake, :lol: as it was only a couple of bolts......her words, not mine, but they ain’t working now, something to do with the wiring........so hold on to your hats, I’m sure I’ll be back soon with even more cry’s for help......

Thanks again for all your help :D Leanne

dave the rave

Site Admin

Post24 Jun 2018 11:42

Here's how to join :- http://www.a40farinaclub.co.uk/welcome.php Upper right hand side.

stoney13

Post03 Jul 2018 10:17

hi, the fuel tank can be repaired either by a professional in that trade, or your self, your daughter being the one to do the job, i have repaired a few tanks now and it is a very time consuming job as it cant be rushed, it normally take me about a month to repair, most of the repairs are made using resin's but the chemicals that you need to clean and prepare are quite strong both in smell and what they will do, what really takes the time is the drying of different stages this time of year its easy but during the winter it can take double the time.
there’s a few companies that that can supply the chemicals etc and supply instructions for use, i use a company called Rust Buster they are very helpful either by email or by phone,. i keep meaning to do a write up on this very subject !!!
as for your lights as i dont know what wire/s you pulled off i cant help, also so if you up graded your lights to halogen you should if not all ready done so up grade to an alternator other wise you will run your battery flat when you use your lights.
all the best with your project
EMA KAY - racing ( A40 s/w group & Wessex group)

stoney13

Post03 Jul 2018 10:18

oh as to the door lock i think they are different as well..
EMA KAY - racing ( A40 s/w group & Wessex group)

Return to Public Chat