Ultrasonic Cleaners?

Talk about any non-car topics here
Colin Wells

Ultrasonic Cleaners?

Post by Colin Wells » 26 Mar 2020 08:45

Has anyone used an Ultrasonic cleaner? I was thinking of getting one to clean up some carb parts etc... Are they as good as they make out to be? Do they clean better than just using a tin of Brake Cleaner and scrubbing?

Keith Bennett

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaners?

Post by Keith Bennett » 27 Mar 2020 08:59

They're certainly very efficient at loosening detritus Colin but, like nearly all cleaners, they just move the stuff somewhere else. The professional ultras combine an vacuum to collect what has been loosened. Be aware though that because they're so efficient, they can sometimes dislodge ultrafine particles which may become lodged in even smaller cavities. Museum conservators use them regularly and I remember that sometimes the cleaned surface didn't look much different at the end of the treatment simply because the delicate - sometimes thousands of years old - items had to be cleaned extremely carefully. I guess that like all cleaners, common sense has to play its part.

Mike Hodgson

Post by Mike Hodgson » 27 Mar 2020 09:55

I have no experience of the type you mention Keith but I do of the type in general use that use a bath of liquid.I used one on a regular basis when I was at RR used mainly for cleaning fine gauze oil filters, also used one when I repaired garden machinery for carb.cleaning.
I have one in the shed ,a cheap Chinese one that does the job for me .They do not give a new look to carbs etc (vapour blast for that) however they do remove dirt and good for clearing internal drillings .I use water with a small amount of detergent in mine .the liquid is only a medium for transmitting the ultrasonic pulses.
After carb cleaning a good blast with airline to finish off.
If you buy one Colin get one with a large enough tank for your needs.

scotty

Post by scotty » 27 Mar 2020 13:57

We also have one Colin and find it very good but what Mike says is exactly correct, they will not make them shiny, just clean.

Colin Wells

Post by Colin Wells » 28 Mar 2020 18:19

Thanks for the informative replies chaps.

Paul & Diane

Post by Paul & Diane » 02 Apr 2020 17:46

I found Cillit Bang Kitchen Degreaser spray is better than brake cleaner, It cleans almost anything inside and out including grubby PVC headlining

Stoney13

Post by Stoney13 » 04 Apr 2020 14:27

yes ive heard that cilit bang is good, and if you want to polish the carb up use arm and hammer tooth whitener much cheaper and better than metal polish
if it has wheels RACE IT, break it,fix it, RACE IT :twisted:

exlkrs

Post by exlkrs » 05 Dec 2020 22:43

Check the Hilditch disposal website. I accidently bought very cheaply a weapons grade hospital ultrasonic cleaner for no money. Bloody thing will clean like new the small change in your pocket if you stand too near to it!