Coventry Transport Museum meet.....Sunday Aug 28th

Dave the rave

Re: Coventry Transport Museum meet.....Sunday Aug 28th

Post by Dave the rave » 10 Aug 2022 13:42

Grovelling apologies, should have put this up sooner :roll:

'Ere yar Ed, and for t'others too :-
COVENTRY CITY CENTRE ROAD MAP.jpg
COVENTRY CITY CENTRE ROAD MAP CLOSE-UP (2).jpg
Turn into Tower street off junction 1, follow road round the right hand bend & turn immediate left. At the bottom of slight slope turn left into Cook Street....up the slight slope and follow road right into Chauntry Place. Museum frontage is down t'bottom of t'hill on the right.......( Ex firemans cottages on the right in Chauntry Place, when you get to the bottom, the Old Fire Station is opposite side of the road ).

Coming into Cov off M6 junction 3 down A444, will bring you to junction 1 of the ring road.
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Easty1887

Post by Easty1887 » 25 Aug 2022 12:34

Hi All,

I was just planning my route for Sunday and thought this map of the approach might help visualise Dave's directions.

Good luck :lol:

See you Sunday!
Dave
Route in
Route in

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 25 Aug 2022 13:47

Aerial shot ties in well with Dave's text explanation, so thanks for doing that. Let's hope we all arrive at the same place!!

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 25 Aug 2022 14:19

Nice one Dave....thanks :D

Maya

Post by Maya » 28 Aug 2022 17:55

So nice to see six A40s today!

One moment... I'm hearing there's a late seventh entry!

Easty1887

Post by Easty1887 » 28 Aug 2022 18:20

It's was great to meet everyone today! I hope you all had safe and trouble free journeys home.

What a great place to hold the meeting! Love the 7th addition to the line up Maya, I took my pics before Pete arrived unfortunately so just 5 on show although somehow we arrived to make a nice colour distributed lineup :D
IMG_20220828_112047.jpg
IMG_20220828_112043.jpg
Last edited by Easty1887 on 29 Aug 2022 09:28, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 28 Aug 2022 19:04

Yes, congratulations to Uncle Dave for organising the meet (even though at least three of us flew several circuits before lining up with the proper (very low-key and narrow) lane that led to the display area.

Most unfair to name names, but I was delighted to meet Maya and learn of her wicked A40's trick of still cooking the wiring, and to meet "Easty1887" (Dave, if memory serves) and the rest of the gang. I do hope Maya's woes can be rectified soon, and she'll then be able to enjoy driving her A40.
covvers 3.jpg
covvers 4.jpg
(Your simple editor was a tad confused to learn that what I took to be Maya's Mk2 is in fact almost a Mk1 but with a Mk2 bonnet!)
covvers 1.jpg
covvers 2.jpg
This guy was astonished when I invited him into Gab. He said that he goes to quite a number of local car shows in the Coventry/Warwickshire area and he's never got to sit in any classic car. "Ah," I told him, "that's cos you've never come across an A40 owner before!"
covvers 7.jpg
This little lady was overjoyed to get behind Gab's wheel while her brother looked enviously on. Their parents were very impressed that I asked their permission not only to let her in but also to take her photo. Sadly, these days, one cannot be too careful.
covvers 6.jpg
Considering it was Bank Holiday Sunday we were all surprised at how few folk were about, although to be fair there were always several inspecting the cars. Here's chairman Ed doing the honours by using the ladies' phone to take a picture of them.
covvers 5.jpg
All-in-all a very good little meeting. We were all surprised that three years had passed since the last one (Covid and subsequent lockdowns have a lot to answer for) and Dave's already planning (plotting?) next year's one. I hope everyone got home safely - speaking personally, once I'd managed to shake the dust of Coventry off Gab't tyres, the journey back to Banbury was quite painless even though the M40 traffic was quite heavy.

It did occur to me that the drivers of cars in lanes 2 and 3 (all travelling at or above the speed limit) were so concentrated in tailgating the car in front (sometimes undertaking when they spotted a chance to get just one car's length in front - how sad's that?) that they simply didn't have the time to enjoy the beautiful Warwickshire countryside through which they were speeding.

Gab of course was contentedly trundling along at something between 45 and 65mph - the speedo flaps around and never remains steady - and so there was no stress in lane 1 at all! Thank you Dave, and the others for taking the time to come and meet us all.

Maya

Post by Maya » 28 Aug 2022 20:23

Keith Bennett wrote:
28 Aug 2022 19:04
(Your simple editor was a tad confused to learn that what I took to be Maya's Mk2 is in fact almost a Mk1 but with a Mk2 bonnet!)
It gives her a certain... je ne sais quoi! But I love how the combo looks.

It was indeed lovely to meet everyone. I'm autistic and it's not very easy for me to engage with people, but you all made me feel very welcome, even though the only A40 I brought with me can fit in the palm of my hand! :D

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 28 Aug 2022 22:11

Dear Maya, so glad that you felt at home amongst us. And it's not as if we were trying - I'm very proud to say that we're just a very friendly little Club!

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 29 Aug 2022 12:00

Well, I'm humbled at the positive response/replies......thank you all :D
Thanks everyone for posting pics too :D :D
A pleasure to meet Maya, and John & Vicky ( ?) Smith, who made the effort from Wolverhampton & Old Arley respectively.
Craig & Jackie Polly too, who came over from Redditch. And thanks too to Ed, Keith, Dave & Pete too...... :D
I did feel sad & embarrassed at the lowlife in the vicinity earlier :evil: :oops: To me, typical of Coventry, as obviously I see the place everyday.... :(

But I will persevere and sort it again for next year. Probably May..... ;)

And for sat-navs, the postcode will be for that little lane, Chauntry Place, at the side of the Museum where you gain entrance to the frontage :-...... CV1-1JR, as Dave East, ( I think ), remarked. Nice one Dave. ( You'd have thought the Museum would have considered that for classics displaying on their frontage.....then again, I didn't either :roll: ).