Classic Cars Magazine, March 2021

From public magazines, not Farina News.
Midlife

Classic Cars Magazine, March 2021

Post by Midlife » 16 Mar 2021 13:44

Four page feature about the A40 Farina. Features quotes from a couple of club members, Robert High and Ben Morong, on owning an A40. Quoting from the magazine 'Despite its charisma and usability, the A40 is largely forgotten and values still have room to climb'.

Dave the rave

Re: Classic Cars Magazine, March 2021

Post by Dave the rave » 16 Mar 2021 16:56

Oooh, thanks for that Peter.
Link to their website, where they have an offer. £4.99 inc postage etc, which in the scheme of things, in my opinion, isn't too bad......

https://www.classiccarsmagazine.co.uk/m ... 1-issue-2/
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Midlife

Post by Midlife » 16 Mar 2021 17:35

I forked out the £4.99 and got the mag a couple of days later, very good...

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 16 Mar 2021 18:19

I've just ordered it....... :D

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 19 Mar 2021 19:57

Well, received my copy today. VERY VERY disappointed :( Feature is written by Richard Dredge, who is very well known to the club, having done articles/features before, and involving my very self too. This write up tells us absolutely nothing we don't already know. Just goes over what to look for when considering a purchase. AND, worst of all, ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION OF OUR CLUB OR ITS SPARES SERVICE. Club contact info is always/usually at the end of an article in a boxed surround. This one....:- zippo, jack, nothing, not a sausage. The club members comments make a very "brief" mention of us. In my opinion it's a pathetic effort. Disgraceful. Strong words, but hey ho :twisted:
There's only one positive to glean, and that's that it actually IS a feature on our cars, and is welcome publicity for them.

No mention of the club, or our Spares Scheme......I can't get over it. An insult to all of Derek's hard work and initiative :cry:

( And an insult to the Club too..... )

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 21 Mar 2021 16:22

I, too, ordered a copy (which can go into the Club's archive) and, like Dave, was incensed at the light touch and plain misleading tone of the article. I e-mailed Richard Dredge (who, as Dave rightly says, is well-known to us) and he was appalled at "his" article. He rang me to explain that several years ago, most of the leading classic vehicle publishers contacted their freelance contributors to tell them their intellectual rights were being revoked (meaning no fees for repeat articles and/or photographs - Richard does both) and in fact now most of the monthlies are relying on cut & paste lash-ups of existing copy to fill their pages because they are determined to cut costs to the bone.

Although his name appears as the byline, the article itself is a mixture of text. As Richard points out, why on earth did the publishers even bother to mention Bull Motif (its website concentrates on the mini and the A40 doesn't appear, although we all know that many mechanical parts are common) and why - although our Club is mentioned as a puff above a photo - it gives no URL or other information. He assured me that of course he'd have given us full mention and says another clue to the lash-up lies in the fact that part of the text states that some parts "can be difficult to track down". From his regular visits to our stand at the NEC, he's very well aware that our spares and service are outstanding (his words) and the current article has obviously been put together by "a staffer" using library pictures and a brief look at Google for A40 Spares.

However, to end on two bright notes, Richard and three colleagues are currently working on a classic magazine owned and published entirely by themselves. We all wish them the very best of luck in their endeavours.

And grateful thanks to "our" Ben Morang for mentioning the Club as it supplies him with parts. Cheers, Ben!

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 21 Mar 2021 18:41

OK....what to say :?:
Firstly, thanks Keith for taking the time to contact Richard. I "know" your measured prose to him will have been a lot more "polite" than any diatribe I might have composed ! ! AND, that would have put my leg extremity right in the mire ! !
Secondly, what a relief to know that it was nothing to do with Richard....... :D
And thirdly, I, and I'd imagine all classic car owners, will really look forward to his forthcoming magazines......

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 21 Mar 2021 19:16

Just received a reply from Richard, telling us that his new magazine will be called Classic.Retro.Modern.

"Thanks for this Keith; the cost cutting at Bauer is going too far and readers are getting short changed as a result. My new magazine launches on 1 July; a more complete website will be live in the next two or three weeks but for now there’s a holding page at https://classicretromodern.com

"The project went live just five days ago so we’ve got a mountain to climb, but I think we’ve got the right team to make this work.

"Here’s to success!"

Let's hope Richard and his colleagues can break into what appears to be a rapidly degenerating market - they have a lot of goodwill out there and many contacts, so the best of luck to them. Meanwhile, to help spread the word, please will those of you who use social media let your own contacts know there will soon be a new kid on the block? Please remember to include their website. Thanks.