Talk about any non-car topics here
gordon

mag

Post by gordon » 21 Sep 2021 09:24

is all well at the printers--now 21 sept and no mag yet gordon

JA40

Re: mag

Post by JA40 » 21 Sep 2021 09:45

I believe Keith has endured some 'aggro' with printers recently.

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 21 Sep 2021 10:31

It should be anytime now. There's been a lot of problems as we've had to change printers. :roll:
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 21 Sep 2021 19:49

As you may have read in FN 166 (September) the Club was forced to find another press for the magazine due to falling demand at Oxuniprint for the smaller publications on our scale (an increasing number now appearing on-line only, at considerably reduced financial penalty) and, although our previous Print Manager was headhunted from OUP by a company called Buckingham Colour Quest it looks like the same thing will happen in the not-too-distant future because even now the majority of enthusiasts post their news on social media, bypassing even on-line publications.

The change-over for FN166 was not without its difficulties, which led to a delayed arrival on the members' doormats of three weeks. Whereas their print manager Richie smoothed FN's way through Oxuniprint, the new company threw up several problems which needed solving even before the magazine made it to the press. My ancient Windows XP computer and its equally ancient typesetting software were deemed obsolete and unacceptable and so I was hard pressed to produce acceptable files. To remedy that for future FNs, I would have to learn a new computer, new software and other skills, none of which I am willing to do.

To compound it all, BCQ's bankers initially refused to create an account for the Club on the grounds that our credit rating was Poor (this because treasurer John has always paid invoices promptly upon receipt, thus needing no credit and therefore appearing to be a bad bet). Eventually he was able to pay on a pro-forma invoice but this added a few extra days to an already lengthening wait.

In short it was a most difficult and depressing episode especially as the writing appears to be on the wall for printed - ie hard-copy - magazines. With OUP we were able to enjoy the huge reduction in postage charges from the University of Oxford whereas BCQ naturally cannot offer such generosity, being "only" a public company. In the same way, their owners obviously take a financial cut which the University never did. FNs costs have thus subsantially increased and will continue to do so.

The magazine faces an uncertain future either with or without me at the tiller. I believe December's magazine will prove the litmus test for ongoing publication.

Stoney13

Post by Stoney13 » 24 Sep 2021 16:35

what a shame FN will never be the same, i expect a lot of members will never get a copy electric or other wise, such a shame all that history to be gone :(
answers on a post card please as this is another avenue that wont be with us much longer i fear
if it has wheels RACE IT, break it,fix it, RACE IT :twisted:

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 24 Sep 2021 17:28

Don't despair, Stoney, all's not lost. I was very depressed when I wrote the above but I'm working through it now. As they say, "watch this space".

monty

Post by monty » 24 Sep 2021 19:19

mag recieved today,first class edition as usual.
Kieth your efforts provide are greatly appreciated
monty

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 24 Sep 2021 20:01

Keith Bennett wrote:
24 Sep 2021 17:28
Don't despair, Stoney, all's not lost. I was very depressed when I wrote the above but I'm working through it now. As they say, "watch this space".
Good on ya Keith ;)
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 25 Sep 2021 11:17

Got my mag yesterday and I am over to the moon to sit down and read it! Not the same reading it online and to me a magazine is just that, a magazine that you can held in your hands, turn the pages on ect.

Ben Morong

Post by Ben Morong » 25 Sep 2021 17:59

I received my copy on the 23rd and was very pleased to see it. Thanks so much to Keith for his struggles on our behalf.