Scrapyards

Talk about any non-car topics here
exlkrs

Scrapyards

Post by exlkrs » 22 Mar 2022 13:45

We all had a favourite - Wander round unhindered, dogs, dirt, four high scaling, buy some stuff and lob some more over the wall? Mine was Race's in Northenden, great place now retirement homes. Glorious day today and I was at the shops, took a walk down there for Nostalgia's sake. What was yours???
The perimeter path today
The perimeter path today
All that is left
All that is left

Ben Morong

Re: Scrapyards

Post by Ben Morong » 22 Mar 2022 17:20

We had junkyards. No more -- now we have metal recycling centers. When I was 15 I'd wander junkyards all Saturday and take home whatever I could strap onto my bicycle. Later it was whatever I needed to keep my junk car on the road. Once I found a complete running 1935 Ford pickup truck in a junkyard and drove it home for $75 -- well, almost complete; it had no exhaust, not even manifolds.

exlkrs

Post by exlkrs » 22 Mar 2022 19:08

Sadly we won't see the like again Ben. I remember walking down the walkway pictured which bordered Race's - There were three mattresses dumped there on top of each other. I was muttering something about scruffy b flytippers, when a gearbox flew over the wall onto them for a soft landing! I'd had a few bits and bobs out of there myself, but never a complete 'box!! Got to hand it to some folk!!

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 22 Mar 2022 19:11

Loved 'em. 4 or 5 in Coventry. Used regularly. Used to "acquire" Metro/Mini sump-plugs, as they had a magnet in them. Very prevalent back in the day. Turned the thread down to 1/8"BSP to fit inline sumps. Things of the past now....proper scrap yards & the Metros 'n Minis in them that is.
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 22 Mar 2022 19:12

exlkrs wrote:
22 Mar 2022 19:08
Sadly we won't see the like again Ben. I remember walking down the walkway pictured which bordered Race's - There were three mattresses dumped there on top of each other. I was muttering something about scruffy b flytippers, when a gearbox flew over the wall onto them for a soft landing! I'd had a few bits and bobs out of there myself, but never a complete 'box!! Got to hand it to some folk!!
Some folk 'eh.......luvin it :mrgreen:
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Nik

Post by Nik » 23 Mar 2022 17:16

Ah Silverthorne lane in Bristol, most Saturday afternoons. There were a few scrapyards there so we be popping in and out trying to find the bits we wanted. There were also a few on the main Bath/Bristol road that had shop fronts and a small yard out back Ken's Autos was a favourite near Lawerance hill. We also used to drive down towards Yeovil, there was a huge scrapyard, Crosskeys, just off the A37 by the Railway. Later when I moved to Yate I found a scrapper at Hatter's lane, they were all great places. I live near Slimbridge and there is still one just down the A38, but most of the stuff is a bit modern.
Stay Safe

Mike Hodgson

Post by Mike Hodgson » 23 Mar 2022 19:16

Nik wrote:
23 Mar 2022 17:16
Ah Silverthorne lane in Bristol, most Saturday afternoons. There were a few scrapyards there so we be popping in and out trying to find the bits we wanted. There were also a few on the main Bath/Bristol road that had shop fronts and a small yard out back Ken's Autos was a favourite near Lawerance hill. We also used to drive down towards Yeovil, there was a huge scrapyard, Crosskeys, just off the A37 by the Railway. Later when I moved to Yate I found a scrapper at Hatter's lane, they were all great places. I live near Slimbridge and there is still one just down the A38, but most of the stuff is a bit modern.
Also two on the Albert road side of Totterdown bridge,one where Asda Bedminster now stands, good old Billy Wares and many others.

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 23 Mar 2022 20:52

This is very sad but true. Sadly the days of the good old scrap yard are gone! Now they just crush the cars as soon as they come in!