Didn't miss a beat

Talk about any non-car topics here
Andy Thompson

Didn't miss a beat

Post by Andy Thompson » 04 Jul 2022 22:35

Well weather not to bad on Friday afternoon so decided to take Ruby Wax over the pennines to collect last bit of stuff from my late dad's house. Set off along the A64 route all the way through Leeds to pick up A58 through to Littleborough. Kept a steady 50 -55 mph never missed a beat all way there even over the steep pennine route via Blackstone edge . Collected paperwork and bits visited some friends then set off on return journey at 6pm . Not dark now till 10 pm so plenty of time came back via M62 route over Saddleworth kept to around 55mph on motorway, back onto A64 heading for home Hunmanby Filey. No radio in car just the engine note to keep me company and temp gauge not moving above normal, fuel still just under half a tank from filling up before set off to get to dad's , so going well and fuel consumption good, even though the price of super unleaded was £1.99 a litre better than £2.06 a litre in Leeds. Got home around 8.30 pm . So Ruby wax had done all together just over 248 miles round trip averaged 42 miles per gallon had more thumbs up of other motorist and once again never missed a beat.I enjoyed the drive both ways knowing this little car would get me there and back, she's now 56 years young and has plenty of life left in her yet. Here's to more memorable journeys in her and proof these cars can keep up with modern day ones, how many shinny same looking models will get to her age, not many I bet. Well off to bed Ruby now , tomorrow is Saturday so you can have a wash , polish and vacuum. You are called Ruby Wax after all, regards Andy

Keith Bennett

Re: Didn't miss a beat

Post by Keith Bennett » 05 Jul 2022 13:31

What a lovely story, but naturally sorry you've lost your dad.

I've never had a radio in either Gab or the VW and, like you, enjoy the mechanical whirring (A40) and rattling (VW !)

And yes, I too, take quiet pride in the fact that our cars can be used in all weathers and yet still remain a viable and low-cost form of transport. Good on yer, Ruby!

Andy Thompson

Post by Andy Thompson » 05 Jul 2022 19:16

Thanks Keith. She's now all shiny and clean inside and out 🙂 cheers Andy

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 05 Jul 2022 20:51

I'm so glad your Ruby ran well. So sorry about your dad.Like you Andy I too own a Ruby which is my only car and everyday transport when needed. I have no radio and I'm very proud of her. Still doing the job 60 years later. It doesn't just end there with me though as I'm also after an original house complete with critical windows! As long as I live I will keep history alive!

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 05 Jul 2022 21:53

You've been hijacked by your predictive text, Sam!

All windows tend to be critical if they offer security, whereas Crittall Windows offer all the above AND look beautifully classical. You have very good taste.

scotty

Post by scotty » 06 Jul 2022 13:26

They may look classical but they rust worse than old Austins, Vauxhalls, Fords, Hillmans, Triumphs, you get the idea.

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 06 Jul 2022 19:48

Sorry folks, yes I had not seen the spelling mistakes! I get where your coming from Scotty but I know of Windows that were hot dipped galvanized from New and are still rot free 60 years on.

scotty

Post by scotty » 07 Jul 2022 13:43

As I understand it, this was one of the design features of them at launch, they were all hot dip galvanised, “Last forever” was the buzz word. Wrong, some may be better than others but this was down to the workers at the dipping plant and not all were covered properly. Or not cleaned prior to dipping.

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 07 Jul 2022 19:55

100% agree. All depends who did the hot dipping. Crittal windows now come double glazed which is super.