New member from The Netherlands

Talk about any non-car topics here
streetscreamer

New member from The Netherlands

Post by streetscreamer » 30 Oct 2023 22:22

Dear all,

Just became a member of this forum and club (#4419). My name is Bart and since this summer a A40 Farina mk2 Countryman 1962 is a part of my family life. As far I know, it's the only countryman in The Netherlands. Happy that I found this club for the necessary information sources and exchanges. I've been involved with english classic for some decades (will tell more later) and hope I can contribute in a good way with my experiences.

By the previous owner this car has been refreshed. Originally it was a UK registered car (SFF270). Now it has been converted to LHD and used for some classic car regularity rallies like the Tulip Rallye.
Technically the car has some upgrades like a 1293 "fast road" (uhuh..) engine with twin SU's, a 5 speed Ford T9 gearbox and Midget disc brakes on the front.
IMG-20230611-WA0018.jpg
At this moment I focus on getting reliability in the car and a proper appearance.
So, things like forgotten split pins on clevis pins, leakages, shortcuts etc.
An alloy Morris Minor radiator has been converted for use in the Farina and also got a temperature sensor for switching the electric fan. I love to do the TIG welding !
20230903_161905.jpg
I will go on with finding Speedwell goodies to dress up the car in a nice sporty way the previous owner started. Biggest luck was to find a tacho of Speedwell recently.
20230929_152330.jpg
In my tiny garage (2,5 x 4 m only) I like to make many parts myself. Here you can see a panel below the dashbord in wrinkle paint with some extra switches, main switch, Halda tripmaster etc. I 3d printed a mould to deep-press thin aluminium in the right shape for holding three gauges in the radio space.
20230820_132921.jpg
The interior space is fantastic for larger persons. Okay, I had to mount the Cobra seats a bit to the rear, but they are in nice harmony with the rest of the interior, especially in combination with the 4 point Luke harness.

Why did I choose for an A40 Farina? That's a special story. Earlier this year I lost two classic cars in a huge fire at a storage. My 1980 classic mini and 1978 MGB with v8 conversion were totally wrecked. Short before that I helped a friend buying this Farina. But his true dream was a good Sprite or Midget. When we would find a sound one without corrosion, then I could have his Farina. It happened just a few weeks later already.... I had the mini since 1991.... a painfull loss of a family member. Before scrapping the wrecks, I took off some bits of the cars like the cast iron 4 pot calipers of both cars, but also the remains of the mini engine and the total stainless steel exhaust system. Maybe there is a chance I can re-use the cast iron part of the engine (measure well) to reincarnate later on in the Farina. It is converted for use of a beemer 16v cilinder head. That will make the Farina a quirky and fast toy....
20230627_115428.jpg
A40 Farina mk2 Countryman Speedwell
1293cc, disc brakes, 5 speed

Maya

Re: New member from The Netherlands

Post by Maya » 31 Oct 2023 14:42

Hallo Bart en welkom! (I don't speak Dutch, I just know how to say that! :lol: )

Your A40 looks like it's in beautiful condition and has been well cared for. And it's the same colour as mine, including the white roof and red interior, so I like your A40 already! :D The work you've done looks great and very professional. I especially like that the car still looks mostly original despite being a little rocket! Several club members have A40s that race at Goodwood every year so you're in good company!

I wouldn't be surprised if that is indeed the only Countryman in the Netherlands - there aren't too many Countryman versions even over here in the UK. But I think there are a handful of other A40s in the Netherlands known to the club, and a number of club members in the Netherlands. Hopefully someone will know a little bit more about that than me. But you're not too far from the UK, so perhaps you'll have the chance to head over for a club event one day? :)

It must be heartbreaking to have lost your previous cars to fire, especially the Mini given you'd owned it for over 30 years. But hopefully your A40 gives you years of enjoyment.

All the best from Wolverhampton in the English Midlands!

(edit: the club also has a Facebook page that's definitely worth a look if you use Facebook!)

Clive

Post by Clive » 31 Oct 2023 18:50

What a lovely car Bart! Great job 👍.

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 31 Oct 2023 19:12

Welcome Bart :D
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

streetscreamer

Post by streetscreamer » 31 Oct 2023 20:11

Thank you all, will look forward once hopping over to The Island again.
Curious when I get access to the members' pages of this forum
A40 Farina mk2 Countryman Speedwell
1293cc, disc brakes, 5 speed