Parts Manual (of sorts)

Talk about any non-car topics here
exlkrs

Parts Manual (of sorts)

Post by exlkrs » 22 Dec 2020 20:20

I've always kept in touch with the Parts Manager from the original Austin Distributors I worked at. Jim is now 75, and ended up DP of a Multi franchise place. He always takes the rip that I never moved with the times and live in a world that ended in the demise of MG Rover in 2005! So on the phone last night, we catch up, and I drop in that i've bought and A40. After the laughs he says Cambridge or Farina? Farina i say, and he says they were a great motor and in the early days as a partsman he was the A40 guru. He then goes on to reel off a load of part numbers!! I then drop a few parts in, he comes straight back with the part Number! Came off the phone thinking my own human microfiche will come in really useful!!

austina40sam

Re: Parts Manual (of sorts)

Post by austina40sam » 22 Dec 2020 20:53

I love hearing things like that. That is what you call a real parts chap!

exlkrs

Post by exlkrs » 22 Dec 2020 21:03

Isn't it just Sam. A dying breed killed off by computers.

Stoney13

Post by Stoney13 » 23 Dec 2020 19:44

yes i have a parts man like that (ldv van parts ) he is quicker than the computer and knows exactly where in the racks they are and also writes the receipt as quick , pure legend
if it has wheels RACE IT, break it,fix it, RACE IT :twisted:

philcwebb

Post by philcwebb » 24 Dec 2020 09:43

I have a classic car parts shop near me (Speedy Spares) - it is row of 4 original shops that have had doorways knocked between them . Many years ago I went asking whether they had a service kit for the A40's carb. The lady who owned the shop told me they didn't have a kit but to 'hang on' - she then called one of the others and said "go and have a look on the 3rd staircase, 5th stair up on the right and there will be a couple of square cardboard boxes" - and he did and returned with a NOS Carb in a nice 'proper' cardboard box (none of this thin stuff Amazon use) and inside was an untouched carb wrapped in lovely smelling (see other ongoing thread) thick oiled paper - the carb is now on the A40!. Having been amazed by this memory of parts location she then said - "must be years since those were moved!" - I can't remember where I have stored things in my garage the week before!

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 24 Dec 2020 19:27

Sometimes I can't even remember where the ruddy garage is!

scotty

Post by scotty » 30 Dec 2020 10:46

Look in a past FN Keith, I remember you posted a picture of it, must help you track it down.