Banks- or should I say the lack of them!

Talk about any non-car topics here
Keith Bennett

Re: Banks- or should I say the lack of them!

Post by Keith Bennett » 17 Aug 2021 16:31

See, naughty boy - shouldn't have any cash; how do "they" know where it came from? Once we're all tied into total electronic banking, the era of cash-in-hand will have been completely eradicated and there'll be an accurate financial picture of each individual's income and outgoings so the taxation authorities can charge accordingly.

That's why the utilities keep pushing for smart meters, especially the electric boys. Those meters can report home every half-hour, so "they" will be able to alter the fee at will, charging more at certain times of day (rather like the Economy Meters which feed night-store meters) or charging less for certain classes of customers (and - probably - load the account of those, usually good payers like the elderly, whom "they" know will stump up without demur).

NatWest keep bombarding me with requests for my smart phone number (ain't got one, don't want one) so they can "improve the quality of our banking experience". Now, I'm sure the poor impoverished wankers - sorry, bankers - want to save as much money on running the banks and collect more money from their customers.

For example Bar & I refuse to have any direct debits - something the yanks dreamed up years ago. The whole idea is predicated upon lethargy; the providers rely on customers not bothering if the charge creeps up gradually because what isn't noticed. We're gonna make damned sure those collectors work for our money until we're actually forced to comply.

Here's a précis from Paul Lewis's article in the current Saga magazine:
"Bank branches are closing, cash machine are disappearing, and shops and cafés are increasingly saying Card Payments Only. In 2017 debit cards overtook cash as the most popular way to pay. By 2020 a quarter of all payments were contactless - nearly ten billion of them. At the same time, cash payments have declined by three-quarters from more than 20 billion in 2013 to barely five billion in 2020 and falling.

"Not everyone can use plastic. More than a million adults in the UK do not have a current account. A similar number have their pensions and benefits paid direct into a Post Office Card Account which is used to take the cash out of a Post Office. But that system will end in November.

"There is concern that the network of free access to our own money will no longer be viable. Because of the pandemic, visits to cash machines plummeted when the first lockdown began and are now barely half what they were two years ago. Remember that you can still get cash from a Post Office using your debit card... but my [Paul Lewis] summing up advice is that everyone should prepare for cash becoming harder to get and less easy to spend, so open a bank account for your pension to be paid into... and don't be afraid to pay with a contactless debit card. If it is stolen or mislaid, your bank should bear any losses. It really will make your life easier in the post-pandemic 21st century."

Us A40-ites - indeed anyone interested in older machinery and ways of life - will have to amend our ways and, even if you have thousands of tenners stashed under the bed, along with that front wing and Mk2 petrol tank, they will quite quickly become worthless. Notice, too, that in the article above, not once are credit cards mentioned: "they" want to ensure that we are totally screwed down tight to the money we hold or earn or spend. That way, the totalitarian society by the wealthy ruling class will be well on its way to fruition.

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 17 Aug 2021 18:14

Chris I am not surprised about what you have said about Barclays at all. I have been with them for years due to the treatment that they have given there customers I will be leaving them early September. I went into Lloyds Bank and what a differfant experience that is! They actually understand that some people dont wish to use cash machines in order to get money out and will happily serve you at a counter.
Keith what you said is so true too! They want rid of cash although which I think is so wrong. To me you cant beat looking into your wallet and seeing what you have to spend. I use cash for everything and still use Cheques to pay for things too. There are still lots of places that accept them too but I think that will get less so as people will not be able to get to the bank so easy with so many of them closing. The only time I use a debit card is when getting money out at the bank or post office and thats the way it will stay for as long as possible. Like you I hate the idea of leaving an electric fingerprint everywhere I go. Cash is king!

exlkrs

Post by exlkrs » 17 Aug 2021 21:25

Keith - That front wing the cash is stuffed under - It's not a Mk 11 right hand one by any chance?.....

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 17 Aug 2021 21:56

'course not - Gab's a Mk 1.

Mike Hodgson

Post by Mike Hodgson » 17 Aug 2021 22:54

I must admit to having 2 new Mk1 wings a nos petrol tank, nos rad panel, nos factory body sills and other sundry body items stashed in the loft.

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 18 Aug 2021 02:54

Plenty folding there then...... :mrgreen:
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 18 Aug 2021 06:59

This is brilliant! Real cash in the attic!

philcwebb

Post by philcwebb » 19 Aug 2021 10:39

Us A40-ites - indeed anyone interested in older machinery and ways of life - will have to amend our ways and.......
- of course the counter argument is what if the 'pre-motor' period people who had horses and wouldn't except motor vehicles prevailed and technology didn't move forward we wouldn't have A40's to talk about and certainly not on an electronic forum.

I am no youngster (exceeded pension age a while back), but use smartphone, Applepay, pay cheques in using photos, and can't remember the last time I went into a bank branch - I also own an Austin A40 - am I going to be banned and have to sell the Austin?. :(

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 19 Aug 2021 10:48

Very good points, Phil. But please do stay with us!!

Re direct debits; Bar & I have just received our joint utilities bill from British Gas; they estimated both the gas and electricity consumption by over double, so if we had a direct debit set up, they'd have taken £164 over the correct amount. Good work if you can get it . . .

Mike Hodgson

Post by Mike Hodgson » 19 Aug 2021 11:19

I also have a smartphone but do not use as much as I could ,I also use many of the alternative methods of payment/paying in etc,I also have at this present time the option to use cash,cheques visit the branch etc.
Big Brother is flexing his muscles and against our wishes slowly forcing us to comply .