New MIG

Talk about any non-car topics here
exlkrs

New MIG

Post by exlkrs » 08 Aug 2021 09:21

As some of you know, I rarely MIG weld, preferring to be a dinosaur and weld with my first love, Gas. I have an old Autoplus 130 which has done good service and still works well, so, after reading good reviews on results on old stuff, treated myself to a little Clarke Pro 90. Set up for a play later. Also chuffed to find correct size could have been made for it sturdy little trolley/skateboard cheaply in B&Q!
miggy (2).jpg

Dave the rave

Re: New MIG

Post by Dave the rave » 08 Aug 2021 11:33

Ooooh, like the trolley :D
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Midlife

Post by Midlife » 11 Aug 2021 18:13

Lovely Mig welder, I'm off to B & Qs to get one of those trolley for mine!

monty

Post by monty » 11 Aug 2021 20:56

Good luck with the new mig. I learnt,in my youth ,to gas weld, which I enjoyed using. Eventually I also got a Mig and made some aweful joints gradually got better but not as good as my memory of gas welding.When using gas I moved the torch in a figure 8 and up and down to control the weld pool,this action becomes a hole and blob generator when using mig . Problems also arrose because I did not realize that the disposable gas bottles only lasted a few minutes so that most of my holes and blobs were done without shielding gas. Eventually I got a reasonable size gas bottle and made progress. One thing it did find easier on mig was repairing broken aluminium castings. I have wondered if for me it might be easier to learn TIG welding since tigs prices are reducing

have fun with the new toot/ tool.