Terry Smith RIP

Keith Bennett

Terry Smith RIP

Post by Keith Bennett » 23 Apr 2023 16:32

It is my sad duty to tell you that Terry passed away in the early hours of St George's Day, Sunday 24th April at home with his family around him.

His sheer stubornness drove him to attend the Wessex Group meeting a week ago although he was too weak to leave his A40. Naturally all his friends crowded around and we hope that lifted his spirits. On Wednesday his hospital appointment to treat his Leukaemia resulted in him becoming very weak. On Thursday he celebrated his 79th birthday; by Friday iit was clear he was sinking fast and he died at 4:30am on Sunday morning.
Our thoughts go out to daughters Kelly, Debbie; to his son Tim and the rest of his extended family.

Terry and a good friend John Fowler founded the Wessex Group (originally named the Hampshire Group) and held the first meeting at the community hall in Chilworth - a small hamlet just north of Southampton - on Sunday 24th October 1988. Fourteen A40s were there, and a week ago Terry was delighted to still see ten, 35 years on from that original meet, including a few old faces from those past days.
Fowler's Walk, Chilworth Old Village and the very first meeting.
Fowler's Walk, Chilworth Old Village and the very first meeting.
That car park was always a bit of a squeeze, but several of the A40s present then were there again last Sunday 16th April.
That car park was always a bit of a squeeze, but several of the A40s present then were there again last Sunday 16th April.
In happier times, here's Terry in full chat mode while his wife Veronica (who sadly died a couple of years ago) watches on from the kitchen hatch.
In happier times, here's Terry in full chat mode while his wife Veronica (who sadly died a couple of years ago) watches on from the kitchen hatch.
A final photo of Terry, taken last Sunday afternoon. An inspirational and very stubborn character - I'm proud to have known him. Rest in Peace.
A final photo of Terry, taken last Sunday afternoon. An inspirational and very stubborn character - I'm proud to have known him. Rest in Peace.
Last edited by Keith Bennett on 05 May 2023 20:33, edited 4 times in total.

Dave the rave

Re: Terry Smith RIP

Post by Dave the rave » 23 Apr 2023 17:49

:(
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Mike Hodgson

Post by Mike Hodgson » 23 Apr 2023 17:53

Sad news indeed. RIP .

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 23 Apr 2023 19:58

A wonderful man has left us but his legacy will live on and he will never be forgotten.

Easty1887

Post by Easty1887 » 23 Apr 2023 22:29

Really sad news but a great legacy that he leaves behind and how wonderful he could attend one final meet! RIP.

AUNTIESOOLDCAR

Post by AUNTIESOOLDCAR » 25 Apr 2023 19:10

So sorry to hear this news,I am Humbled to have known such a character. i am also glad that I spoke with him last Sunday at the meeting. He told me to make sure I looked after my car. Roger Wastie

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 25 Apr 2023 21:00

He was so pleased to see us all Roger. Its so good that he was able to make it to the last meeting. Your car is very special having been in the family from new. Nice to sit next you at the meeting and have a chat Roger. Sam with 107 SKE.