1962 A40 Project car NOW SOLD!!

The A40 Farina Club takes no responsibility for the accuracy of information of cars advertised on this website. These cars have not been inspected by club officials. All details of vehicles are supplied by the vendors and any potential buyer should confirm their accuracy by independent inspection.
Derek Minter

1962 A40 Project car NOW SOLD!!

Post by Derek Minter » 02 Nov 2022 08:23

Details:
Mark II Countryman About a 1962. 1000cc.
Long time off road.
Spares or repair.
Stored: South Birmingham. About two miles from Cadburys.
No battery. Needs four tyres. Two outer, and one inner sill definitely need doing.
Back valance has gone.
Needs new front bumper.
Bad rot behind front right wheel owing to someone backing into the car.
Engine was previously owned by a racing club member.
Apparently special flywheel.
A few spare parts.
Whether engine runs I do not know.

Will need trailer to take away.

£200

Geoff

Please contact via Derek at

parts@a40farinaclub.co.uk
Last edited by Derek Minter on 18 Sep 2023 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Bennett

Re: 1962 A40 Project car available, Birmingham

Post by Keith Bennett » 02 Nov 2022 18:25

Oh if I were twenty years younger (and had a barn, plenty of money and the necessary skills!)

monty

Post by monty » 03 Nov 2022 10:54

Keith,
With your long history of diplomacy and mentoring on behalf of the club, you must have built up a stock of credits with the small GODS. Skills can be learnt on the job (and most of them you will remember). I believe I have 1.5 credits be you can have! How many credits needed for a barn??
I, also, would love to be able to save that car, let us both hope she finds a caring owner.

sid

Post by sid » 03 Nov 2022 16:32

i'm not an expert..but,is that a viable restoration project..or just a pile of spares ? there's an A40 near me that's been standing for years but would cost a small fortune to restore..looks all complete as well.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 03 Nov 2022 18:41

A difficult call. Twenty years ago a skilled restorer would be hard pressed to save a very rusty shell. Today, with up-to-date materials allied to our Club's superb repair panels almost any shell can be saved.

But of course the commercial cost of the restorer's time added to the restoration and subsequent recommissioning of the car would elevate the value beyond any sensible level. Good luck to the old lady!

scotty

Post by scotty » 04 Nov 2022 10:28

Believe me Sid anything is restorable, the value verses the cost is always the difficult thing. Such a project would require someone to input their time for nothing but it is certainly doable. Our cars are unfortunately undervalued as not being a vogue vehicle, unlike many similar era cars. One of our old friends who runs a VW type 2, split screen and bay window (like our editor's machine) restoration business, restored and sold a 23 window split version with full camper interior for £123,000. Some would say ridiculous but a very very IN vehicle and such a machine gives the restorer a good deal to work with to do the job.

We have a Lamborghini in for restoration at present which will cost about £100,000 to restore and should be worth £80,000 when complete. Fortunately the owner has the funds and has the affection for the car to want to drive it again following a long sorry tale of a friend of a friend starting and stripping the whole car, loosing a number of parts and then giving up. We received a bare rotten shell, engine, gearbox and 14 large boxes full of what was left of the pieces the owner could find.

There are fortunately people still around who have the passion at all the different levels for all the different makes to keep cherished vehicles alive. This old gem just needs to find one of our like, to do the same.

sid

Post by sid » 04 Nov 2022 15:03

blimey Scotty,i'd want a house for some of those prices you quoted :lol: