Glass fibre panels

For Club Members and non-members.
190251cars

Glass fibre panels

Post by 190251cars » 20 Sep 2022 16:24

Hi All,
Does anybody know a supplier of glass fibre panels for a Mk2 Farina Countryman?
Moto-Build can no longer supply a bonnet, just bumpers.
Also, I would love to fit an Innocenti 1 piece tailgate if available in glass fibre.
Thanks, Roger Coote.

Keith Bennett

Re: Glass fibre panels

Post by Keith Bennett » 20 Sep 2022 19:18

Glass fibre bumpers? Hmm. Do you need front wings? I myself have never heard of an Innocenti tail unit - it would have to be a sturdy structure to support itself on the hinges.

Anyway, good hunting.

190251cars

Post by 190251cars » 21 Sep 2022 08:33

Hi Keith, As I hill climb the car I am not allowed glass fibre wings in road going class, just bonnet, boot/tailgate and bumpers.
Regarding the Innocenti (metal) tailgate I would like to know if the hinges were heavier duty, if not then I would think they would cope ok with a lighter glass fibre version.
Roger Coote.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 22 Sep 2022 09:33

190251cars wrote:
21 Sep 2022 08:33
Hi Keith, As I hill climb the car I am not allowed glass fibre wings in road going class, just bonnet, boot/tailgate and bumpers.
Regarding the Innocenti (metal) tailgate I would like to know if the hinges were heavier duty, if not then I would think they would cope ok with a lighter glass fibre version.
Roger Coote.
Ah, you misunderstood - my point was that a fibreglass copy of an Innocenti tailgate might of itself not have enough structural strength to support itself on the hinges. (Obviously the original unit and its hinges would have been designed to cope with the stresses of operating plus resisting windy conditions when open.)

I may be mistaken, but I'm not aware of a commercially produced fibreglass unit based on a one-piece tailgate.

Good luck with the competitions; you may come across at least two other A40s on the hills, so do say "hello" and do let us know how you get on.

scotty

Post by scotty » 22 Sep 2022 14:21

Many competition A40s which are based on the countryman shell, remove the whole top tail gate and replace with a Macralon window and of course a brace across at the bottom. Not sure if your regs allow such mods but would prove very light in both senses of the word.

monty

Post by monty » 22 Sep 2022 15:11

If you could get hold of an Innocenti like gate it's an easy job to make up a fibre glass mould and then a replica tail gate.
Use of woven roving rather than fg mat, would be lighter and stronger. Stiffness would require ribs on the under/inside. In the past I used lengths of cigarette filter(before it was cut up, these were glassed in. Hinge and lock reinforcement would be the potential trouble area, do-able but needs some think out!
If you do try it please ensure good ventilation and filtered fresh air breathing.

exlkrs

Post by exlkrs » 24 Sep 2022 09:13

The old Haynes generic Car Restoration Manual is what it is, but it does have a useful chapter on GRP and making moulds.

Clive

Post by Clive » 18 Oct 2023 09:24

Hi Roger, I replied to you pm but not sure it went.

On mine, it's the 2 halves welded together. The previous owner did it. It's on the original top hinges plus 2 gas struts. He made a decent job of it but does need an extra support (broom handle!) to stop it dropping.

Clive

Nik

Post by Nik » 18 Oct 2023 17:28

Depending on the state of the car you might want to do a separate top and bottom, when we hill climbed/sprinted one in the early eighties we found the body flexed and we would have cracked the door if it was one piece. I used fibre glass curtains which made very light and flexible panels, I too am after a FB mk2 bonnet but have had no luck, I don't want to make one from scratch. We ran a standard 1098 A40 and because we stripped it out and removed the passenger we were classed as a special saloon, in with space framed imps and minis. The Scrutineers were most worried about the fibreboard inner panels we removed because they said it would weaken the car!
Stay Safe

190251cars

Post by 190251cars » 05 Dec 2023 10:27

Hi All,
Well I think my thoughts on having a bonnet, boot lid and tailgate made professionally are now dead in the water.
The quote I have received was for a total of £3354,00 including VAT!!!!
Roger.