Dave the rave

Re: RALLYE MONTE CARLO HISTORIQUE 2023

Post by Dave the rave » 30 Jan 2023 14:48

Oh yeah...... :D
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 30 Jan 2023 16:33

On my way home yesterday the B4077 climbs from the valley of the River Severn at Tewkesbury up onto the Cotswolds at a long and twisting hill with four very sharp bends.

I know it well and it's usually busy with necessarily slow traffic. But this time Gab and I found it empty; everyone having their supper I guess.

Perhaps the spirit of Pat Moss was riding with me, but a damp road, cross-ply tyres and a thoroughly warmed car gave me huge fun as Gab stormed and drifted her way up that hill to the summit.

Meanwhile of course, many miles away to the south, two other A40s were experiencing much more testing conditions on the Monte but just for a couple of minutes I could share something of the thrill their drivers were having. Certainly beat the weekly trip to Morrisons!!

scotty

Post by scotty » 31 Jan 2023 08:50

We'll get you on the Monte yet KB.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 31 Jan 2023 10:21

Actually, during my too-brief interview with Bill, he wistfully wondered out loud whether his advancing years (soon to be 82) might prove too much on such a testing rally. But he hopes to have Zoey better fettled so that - if we would like her - she could be displayed at the NEC in November (provided, of course, that we are lucky enough to gain a stand).

As I listened to his gentle Irish brogue it began to dawn on me what a giant in motor racing this dear chap actually is. He showed me just two of his trophy cabinets which are stuffed with awards, diplomas and the like gained over the past 60+ years of racing.
Bill's winnings 1.jpg
Bill's winnings 2.jpg
Zoey herself isn't fully original but even I spotted the series of drilled holes in the offside radiator panel which aided ventilation for a hard-worked engine.
XOE's breathing holes.jpg
And finally, here's a shot of yours truly actually sitting in that famous car with such a daft grin all over my chops! And why not?
XOE's interloper.jpg
Interrupting what was specifically a thread on the Monte is only possible due to a complete radio silence from our two crews. By now, of course they're going flat out on the final sections and are understandably much too focussed to keep in touch at present. Hopefully news will trickle in once they're all safely arrived and decompressed...
Last edited by Keith Bennett on 01 Feb 2023 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 01 Feb 2023 11:39

Today marks the start of the Final Leg (09:00 pm), scheduled for the last night of Tuesday January 31 to Wednesday February 1. On the menu, two famous stages: “Col de Braus – Lantosque / RS 15 / 10:10 pm / 34,35km” and “La-Bollène-Vésubie – Moulinet / RS 16 / 11:20 pm / 22,33km”. Crews will be expected on the finish line in Monaco Port Hercule around 1:20 am. Finally, in keeping with tradition, the Gala Night and Prize-Giving Ceremony will take place on the evening of Wednesday February 1, in Salle des Etoiles at Sporting Monte-Carlo.(Evening dress or dark dress required).

My word, they'll all deserve a rest! Chris Mockridge says that "Fraser and Barrie are still going well and have moved up to 245th place" but currently I haven't heard from Ivar and Bjorne. Let's hope they're okay.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 01 Feb 2023 12:12

Very latest from Chris:

I think Ivar finished just inside the top 100
Fraser and his dad didn't go up onto Turini but by getting to Monaco are classed as finishers!

They beat our results of 2018 and 2019* by finishing in the top 250.

No doubt Fraser will write a report.

*Chris and nav. John Varney are no strangers to the Monte and have supported Fraser and Barrie throughout their campaign. Here's the pair of them in 2019 at the Banbury lunch halt before pressing on in "Tina the Farina" to a final 236th place and raising at least £2,100 in donations for the Childrens' Hospice, South West. Very well done!
MCR 2.jpg
MCR 6.jpg

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 01 Feb 2023 16:07

Ivar has just written:

We managed to bring the A40 Farina across the finish line for the SIXTH time. Hard to beat!

Only two special stages with plenty of snow and ice which gave us the chance to climb 25 places during the second-to-last day of the rally. In the most winter-like conditions the little Farina was 41 out of 284 cars, but on the final day there was unfortunately no more snow and ice. Hence in total 84 over all, - i.e. amongst the top 30 percent!!

At next year's RMCH I will (hopefully) have passed 70 years of age, and maybe it is time to try another challenge!!

If you are interested in buying this remarkably famous and extremely well-prepared rally car, Keith has my contact details!
Love it!! Ivar

ps,
Very happy also to see Fraser and his father across the finish Line!
🏁🏁

Wow! Many congratulations to you and Bjarne on your very successful outing to southern France. I hope some commercial photographer will have seen you along the route somewhere so that you can share a few shots with us. And thanks so much for telling us about Fraser and Barrie's success. With luck, once they've recovered, we'll learn the extraordinary story of two novices tackling one of the world's most famous rallies!
Last edited by Keith Bennett on 03 Feb 2023 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 01 Feb 2023 19:27

Here's the official places for Ivar & Bjarne out of the 271 entrants:
RESULTS 1.jpg
but very sadly I found Fraser & Barrie in the Abandons / Retirements listings at
RESULTS 2.jpg
I know that down in Monte Carlo as I type this, certainly Ivar and Bjarne are enjoying a slap-up 'posh' meal with all the other finalists to close this year's RMCH but we'll have to wait to see whether Fraser and Barrie can also share the festivities.

Whatever the outcome though, we should all be very proud that two A40s have flown the flag for us in this most prestigious of rallies and I hope both crews will be able to find time to write to FN with their stories in due course. To them both,
Very well done, and safe journeys home.
Last edited by Keith Bennett on 03 Feb 2023 18:57, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 02 Feb 2023 15:56

Ivar sent me the following, timed at 01.26 this morning...

Good (late) evening Keith!
Just back from the banquet plus a couple of drinks at Tip Top bar. 🍺🍷💥
Briefly wanted to say that of course I have photos! Will mail you a bunch tomorrow and really hope you will find the photos of the A40 from the winter stage really cool!! Good night.
Ivar

Good night Ivar. Hmm, and a good time was had by all, as they say. Love the beer, wine and explosion icons!

scotty

Post by scotty » 03 Feb 2023 08:34

Great effort by all.