Advice please

Discuss anything about the club - public chat
Woody32

Advice please

Post by Woody32 » 25 Nov 2021 17:26

Hi all I am a new member and looking for my first A40, I have run a lot of A series over the years in Mk1 and Mk 2 sprites so ok with the engines, in fact I love the a series but have no experience on the A40 body etc, am I right in saying a lot of the parts on an A40 are the same as fitted to the sprite ( can’t get in a sprite now )but also need a little more space inside the car so the A40 fits the bill any advice you could give me on what to look for Would be appreciated, I am looking at the lower end of the price range but don’t want to do full rebuilds any more but happy to do some work,or should I say fettling,
Thank you
Larry

Keith Bennett

Re: Advice please

Post by Keith Bennett » 25 Nov 2021 19:46

Hi Larry - welcome to the madhouse. Dave-the-Rave (aka our webmaster) will be able to open the Club side of the site to you and in there are several articles dealing with the A40's dark little places where the tinworm usually gets a hold.

Derek (spares) stocks an impressive range of repair panels and service items, while here on the website we pride ourselves on a swift reply to any query.

I suppose like any old car, lifting the carpets will let your eyes (rust) and nose (damp) tell you the main story. Check the heelboards both sides (the rear spring hangers are on t'other side and may need remedial work.

Check the two front corners of the front floor plans for rust - those areas at the bottom of the A-posts are an important factor in the strength of the shell.

And try to find a car with moderately good upholstery. Repairs there can be expensive.

Good hunting, and let us know how you get on.

Woody32

Post by Woody32 » 25 Nov 2021 20:54

Hi Keith
Thanks for the info much appreciated, so really the same places as the sprite will keep you posted on my progress
Many thanks

exlkrs

Post by exlkrs » 28 Nov 2021 17:56

Where are you based Woody?

Woody32

Post by Woody32 » 28 Nov 2021 20:22

Hi exlkrs
Norwich Norfolk

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 29 Nov 2021 10:36

Larry, PM or email me please.
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

scotty

Post by scotty » 30 Nov 2021 10:22

Very happy to help here at Scott Automotive, we are just down at Mildenhall if you want to drop in and see us. Perhaps we can point you in the right direction. We have lots of bits and can show you where to look on a bare shell we have in the workshop, plus some completed cars. PM me and I will mail you directions to find us.

Woody32

Post by Woody32 » 30 Nov 2021 16:20

Thank you Scotty will PM you

Woody32

Post by Woody32 » 30 Nov 2021 17:00

Scotty - Just seen the photos of the rebuild on UCE13 Wow just superb

scotty

Post by scotty » 01 Dec 2021 10:05

Thanks Larry, you can look the car over when you come down. Had a chat with the guys and think we have come up with a neat solution to items we discussed via mail.