Bit of advice

Discuss anything about the club - public chat
exlkrs

Re: Bit of advice

Post by exlkrs » 12 Feb 2022 22:29

Just had a thought - (Quick have another one it will be lonely) Should those square block facets be near to and higher than the engine? There was one on a Sprite I had and i'm sure I read that in a leaflet that came with it?
Last edited by exlkrs on 12 Feb 2022 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

Matty

Post by Matty » 12 Feb 2022 22:31

Defiantly something to look at. I'll have a read up and see what I can find

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 13 Feb 2022 12:53

Hi Matty, a warm welcome to the Club and to our forums. Thanks for choosing an A40 - I hope you have many years with us. A rich source of information can be found by using the "Search" button which tops so many things us inmates have overcome in the past, usually the hard way!

Once you're out & about, you'll quickly discover how many strangers will approach you (usually with a daft grin) to tell you about their memories of A40s over the years. Don't expect a quick getaway!!

And speaking with my editor's hat on; how about a letter (and photos!) for Farina News? It goes out to over 500 members world-wide four times a year (at present) and is very popular.

Enjoy your A40 !

Matty

Post by Matty » 13 Feb 2022 20:35

Thanks Mike much appreciated

Matty

Post by Matty » 13 Feb 2022 20:39

Keith I will do that. Its an ex club car anyway, I've only owned it a few weeks. The previous owner is Bryan from Cheltenham (I've forgot his surname temporaily). He's done brilliant work at it. I've got some bits and bats planned once it's run in and set up right but nothing to spoil it. I've wanted one for donkeys years and it defiantly hasn't disappointed.

Matty

Post by Matty » 16 Feb 2022 16:50

Hi everyone sorry but I've a further question.
On Friday I hope to have a session with my timing lamp in order to confirm that the timing is set correctly. Bearing in mind the modifications which have been done to this engine, should I be aiming for standard settings as per my workshop manual, settings as per the need to run on unleaded fuel (97 to 99 octane "super" ) or do the mods need to be taken into account? They are
295 spec cylinder head
Alternator
Accuspark rotor cap and leads
Minisport tubular inlet manifold
Tubular 3 branch exhaust manifold.
Of the above list I don't know yet how to classify what affect they would have on ignition. Aside from the alternator conversion and (uprated?) Rotor and leads, all we are achieving is greater and presumably smoother passage of air in and gas out. However, I'm feeling my way on this having exclusively worked on modern fuel injected cars upto this point. Any advice greatly appreciated and don't be shy at calling me a half wit :lol:

exlkrs

Post by exlkrs » 16 Feb 2022 20:19

I suggest a bit of suck it and see. Assuming you have retained a dizzy with vac advance, set with the vac off to the specified timing, then test drive for pinking under load or popping back on the overrun. Then try again two degrees either way. Old fashioned tippex is your friend for temp marks on the crank pulley.

Matty

Post by Matty » 17 Feb 2022 17:56

Thanks, will do

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 17 Feb 2022 17:58

Remember :- retard with rotation :D
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗