Getting Registered with the DVLA

Discuss anything about the club - public chat
Parkpd

Getting Registered with the DVLA

Post by Parkpd » 01 Aug 2022 20:47

Well, my Mark 1 is (hopefully) structurally sound, moving and stopping which got me thinking about getting it back on the road in the not too distant future.
It’s been in a shed for the best part of 40+ years, so never did get onto the computerised DVLA database, and obviously had no paperwork when I bought it!
Luckily all the numbers match the heritage certificate (if anyone finds themselves in a similar position the heritage museum certificates do go a long way towards building a picture of authenticity when all seems lost).
I’m hoping that no one has taken 39 AOM (I cannot find any record with the DVLA that someone else is using it, so fingers crossed).
I downloaded form V55/5 and followed the instructions to complete it for applying to register an historic vehicle.
The other form is V765 - applying to register a vehicle under its original registration……this is where Stoney comes in, our authorised owners club official recognised by the DVLA. He came over yesterday and we had a grand old chat about many things - including A40 Farina’s (he’s got some good tips as well as good company).
Stoney gave the old girl a thorough going over, advised me on what I needed to submit for maximum chances of success and stamped and signed all the paperwork - I am very grateful to him!
It all went off to the DVLA today (don’t forget to keep copies of all the things Stoney signs - not that the DVLA would ever lose stuff, of course).
Let’s see how long it takes, and whether I get to keep 39 AOM……..

Keith Bennett

Re: Getting Registered with the DVLA

Post by Keith Bennett » 01 Aug 2022 20:54

Really pleased our Club has been able to help you. Stoney won't thank me for bigging him up but he really is a hero and does a lot for the Club.

Do let us know how you get on.

Stoney13

Post by Stoney13 » 13 Aug 2022 11:01

thanks guys its good to know and here feed back, all the best with dvla as most of them still work from home so it may take a little time for them to get back to you, but fingers crossed all goes well
if it has wheels RACE IT, break it,fix it, RACE IT :twisted:

Parkpd

Post by Parkpd » 28 Aug 2022 14:17

Well, somewhat predictably, the Vehicle Casework Unit replied with ‘computer says ‘no’……..cough’. I must say, it only took a few weeks to reject it…..
It is a little amusing that they will supply a different age related number, just not the one that has been associated with the car for the last 63 years.
Hey ho. At least they sent my cheque for 50 quid back!
As I don’t have the original logbook (and absolutely no prospect of getting it), I suppose the only other possibility is the sales record from the ‘Premier Motor Co. Ltd’, Aston Road, Birmingham. Given that this closed down quite a few years ago, I don’t have much hope. I did find a Birmingham history forum with a thread relating to Premier Motor Co. With the last post in 2014 from people who used to work there. As an absolutely last ditch attempt, I posted asking if anyone knows whether the sales records were kept by anyone - pretty slim, I know.
I’m a bit sorry that I am going to have to prise off the clearly 63 year old number plates to put new ones on.

I guess the bottom line is that the number means nothing really to me other than it is clearly part of the history of my car. Having another age related number is not the end of the world, just a bit sad.
Attachments
15F8298D-0624-4303-B05A-30A48CF045B1.jpeg

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 28 Aug 2022 19:12

Yep, sad indeed, but I'm pleased our Stoney came good in the end. You'll see in FN170 (currently in the press) that DVLA have had to overcome a lot of problems, mainly Covid-related meaning many of the staff had to work from home - never an ideal situation.

I do admire the lovely blue even though I guess the passage of years must have faded it a bit. And I'm very envious of your "shed". I'd kill for one of those and the space to put it. Heaven to me is the smell of creosote, petrol, oil and associated smells of a classic car in a wooden garage. Cannot beat it, and concrete or brick ones never seem to keep a vehicle in such good condition as those in your shed!

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 28 Aug 2022 22:05

I would keep trying to keep you original reg. My car lost its reg but I managed to get the plate back. We would be lost without Stony, a great friend of mine.

Parkpd

Post by Parkpd » 29 Aug 2022 10:07

Yep, Stoney certainly is a great support.
I haven’t quite given up hope, yet!
I might try and give the DVLA a call. The number plates are so clearly as old as the car, and with Stoney’s stamp and signature on the pictures, I would have thought there is a chance I can still convince them….

It took a while to convince my wife that we should build a double garage to house our cars and protect them from the elements……she must have cottoned on to being duped, but keeping quiet (neither of our daily drivers have entered said garage, ever)
:D

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 29 Aug 2022 11:42

What should sway them is photographic evidence of it, or filmed evidence. I know for a fact that filmed evidence got the reg back on an A35 Pick-up a few years ago.
The restoration story is in this book :-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Accessible-Cla ... 286&sr=8-2

Pic of said wreck :-
IMG_20220829_113921899.jpg
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Parkpd

Post by Parkpd » 29 Aug 2022 16:10

Thanks Dave - that’s a great idea.
I’ll certainly ask if they would accept a video clip

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 29 Aug 2022 16:56

I do hope so. That request was 30 years ago ....let's hope DVLA havn't had a change of heart :?:
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗