Getting Registered with the DVLA

Discuss anything about the club - public chat
Parkpd

Re: Getting Registered with the DVLA

Post by Parkpd » 07 Sep 2022 15:05

Well, I tried phoning the DVLA (Kits and Rebuilds) a week ago and no answer, so sent an email arguing my case for a video walk around.
Having heard nothing, I phoned again today and got through to the vehicle casework unit. They acknowledged that it was a good idea, however, stated that the acceptance criteria are extremely strict and there was no flexibility with this. He was very helpful, and did try to do his best to find any record of my car. He also alluded to a possible change in how things are assessed in the future. There were no details, but it might become easier to keep a registration.
To be fair to him, he did sound somewhat frustrated with the current system - he acknowledged it was a bit silly not to use the original number if not assigned to another vehicle (certainly as it could never be transferred).

He did make a couple of other interesting comments though…..
They sometimes have the new vehicle registration unit send stuff back to them suggesting they use the registration associated with the vehicle (like something out of ‘Catch 22’). The other thing he said was that in future, it might be possible to apply for the registration again even though the vehicle has been assigned a new, age related number and do a ‘swap’.
Another reason to keep hold of the old number plates!

So off goes my application to the new vehicle registration team.

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 07 Sep 2022 15:12

Good luck Peter. Digits etc all crossed........ :D
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Parkpd

Post by Parkpd » 10 Oct 2022 16:49

Well, it’s been around 6 weeks since I sent off all the paperwork to the DVLA new registrations - so I thought I’d give them a call.
I was unable to get to a post office on the day I sent it off, so sent it first class via a post box in the village……..first schoolboy error, I think.

Well, you’ve guessed it……there is apparently no record of my application.
DVLA customer services did tell me to wait another fortnight and phone again, but I don’t hold out much hope.

It’s my own stupid fault for not sending it recorded delivery.

Oh well, I’ll wait the fortnight and then start all over again. Hopefully I can convince them to accept all the copies I took of it, all signed and stamped by Stoney.

Sigh

Parkpd

Post by Parkpd » 19 Oct 2022 18:22

Well, I received a thick envelope from the DVLA today……..hurrah, I was wrong, I thought!
They returned all my documents to me with a covering letter saying, ‘ I have to reject your first registration application because you have not enclosed your original non-UK registration certificate or export certificate’.

No other reason.

I was puzzled, given that the car has never left these shores and was made here in Birmingham.
After half an hour on hold, I did finally get through to the DVLA, who eventually told me that, since 2013, all applications must have a NOVA certificate even if the vehicle has never been imported or exported. The rationale given did not seem rational, but hey, what do I know.
The Personal Transport Unit, HMRC, BX9 1GD were extremely helpful and emailed me the NOVA application pack straight away with guide notes and the application form (which has to be sent by post, not emailed).
Anyway, anyone else trying the get their car re-registered and don’t have the original paperwork, take note - YOU HAVE TO COMPLETE AN HMRC NOVA APPLICATION (AND EXPLAIN THAT YOU ARE RESTORING AN HISTORIC VEHICLE, INCLUDING A COPY OF THE HERITAGE CERTIFICATE OR OTHER VERIFICATION THAT THE CAR WASN’T IMPORTED).

She did tell me that they would email me the certificate within 10 days and that they commonly have to deal with applications for NOVA’s to get historic vehicles back on the road.
Good grief…….

I’m hoping that once I have the NOVA certificate to include in my bundle of paperwork, I can send it all back again (not forgetting to use recorded delivery this time!) and get it registered….

Time for a stiff drink methinks…..

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 19 Oct 2022 18:37

Blimeys..... plenty stiffy drinkies metinks :!: :!:

Parkpd

Post by Parkpd » 24 Nov 2022 07:17

Well, having secured a NOVA certificate to prove no import duties etc were due, and sent the whole lot back to the DVLA a fortnight ago - I get a call yesterday from the very pleasant person dealing with my application.

She needs to send it all back to me because I didn’t supply the original heritage certificate (apparently a copy signed and stamped by Stoney is not enough - they are more than happy with the club attesting to the authenticity of everything else though).

Still, it was nice to actually speak to someone rather than just get it back in the post again.

So, top tip number 10000, make sure you send the original proof of the car details (in my case, the heritage certificate).

She assured me that she will personally process my application once I send it all back for the third time. She did make me smile when she said, ‘if I didn’t work here, I wouldn’t know where to start with getting an old car registered’.

Oh, and she reminded me that the original cheque I sent is now no longer valid as it was written in June……..ho ho ho!

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 24 Nov 2022 21:25

So does this all mean you can keep your original number?

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 24 Nov 2022 23:31

That's what's about to be known, upon receipt of next letter Sam.

Parkpd

Post by Parkpd » 25 Nov 2022 07:25

Well, there is no mention of me keeping the original number - I assume this prolonged dance was just to get it re-registered (on another number)……
To be honest, it slipped my mind to ask her when she was on the phone. When I send it all back, I’ll pop another note in and ask sweetly if they would consider giving me the original registration number.

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 25 Nov 2022 19:56

Keep on fighting. Its not on a car so its worth fighting to keep the original number. I managed to get my original number plate back after being parted from the car 20 years ago.