Locking petrol cap

Discuss anything about the club - public chat
Andy Thompson

Locking petrol cap

Post by Andy Thompson » 15 Feb 2021 21:38

Hi all , I am after a locking petrol cap for my car it's a mk2 and I have been told it needs to be the vented type. Does anyone know where to get them from I would like it to be chromed if possible, kind regards Andy.

Mike Hodgson

Re: Locking petrol cap

Post by Mike Hodgson » 15 Feb 2021 21:43

Do a Google search for "classic mini locking petrol cap" you will be spoilt for choice

Andy Thompson

Post by Andy Thompson » 15 Feb 2021 21:57

Thanks Mike , once again you always help, appreciated, regards Andy

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 16 Feb 2021 09:03

Gracious - why does a petrol cap need to be vented? I've always thought the tank needed to be able to hold the fuel without the danger of it escaping as vapour (which I understand is much more dangerous than liquid petrol)?

Chairman Ed

Post by Chairman Ed » 16 Feb 2021 09:21

I guess because if it was a sealed system, as fuel was used, a vacuum would occur and collapse the tank.

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 16 Feb 2021 11:54

Unlikely the tank would collapse Ed, nowhere near enough vacuum. The fuel just wouldn't come through.
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Chairman Ed

Post by Chairman Ed » 16 Feb 2021 14:02

Ah yes. I was underestimating the suction power of my Zenith carburettor!

monty

Post by monty » 16 Feb 2021 14:08

Instinctively I don't believe the tank would collapse, but the numbers are interesting. I have not checked a tank size, but assume it's about 36x14 inches. Say 500 square inches. If we take a typical pump pressure of 4.5 PSI acting over 500 SQ.IN, that gives 2250lbs acting on the tank. Personally I would not set out to store a tank with a one ton load on top of it. Halve the tank size and I still would not store half a ton on top of it.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 16 Feb 2021 15:29

Well, I'm truly boggled. I had a look at Gab's "tin" fuel cap and it appears to be a solid curved top with a rubber seal around the circumference. No hole seems apparent, but it's been like that for 60-odd years so unless the tank is in fact sucked down to an inch thick (!) I'll leave well alone! and remain in blissful ignorance...

Andy Thompson

Post by Andy Thompson » 16 Feb 2021 23:57

Well lads and lasses I am befoggled, baffleised and flabbergasted, I only wanted a locking petrol cap, was informed it should be the vented type. Now I have got a science lesson, a maths lesson, and history of fuel tanks and petrol caps over sixty years. The fountain of knowledge you lot have has frazzleised my tiny brain . However I have ordered a period locking petrol cap that is for cars of our make , model and year so will let you know if I go out and the car turns inside out due to the vacuum caused by the said petrol cap, and I come out via the carb 2 stones lighter because I have been vapourised. Thanks all, love the banter, the information, and help. Stay safe take care and my will all meet up sun so I can show you my new fandangeled, super dooper top of the range petrol cap. Lol. Kindest regards to you all Andy :lol: :x