Registering a restoration.

Discuss anything about the club - public chat
Meiri

Registering a restoration.

Post by Meiri » 03 Apr 2021 05:36

Hi all,
I am new to the club and based in Sunbury (Tw16).
I committed a cardinal sin and bought a barn find Mk2 with no paperwork 18months ago from a garage down in Sussex who had acquired the car from a house clearance shop next door to them. The business owner was going to use it as a competition car at Goodwood/Historics but had decided upon using a Mk2 Jag instead. The car was bought with just a receipt of sale, no history no paperwork and trailered away.

I have been restoring the car over the COVID period in and have even practiced my first strip down and respray but now I am at a stage where I would like to register it with the DVLA. I have tried once before and sent form with a covering letter and chassis/engine numbers but it got returned with (computer says no) answer.... Not sure what the next move would be as it would be great to return the car to its original registration if possible. ( I will upload pics of the project later today.)
Thanks Meiri

Chairman Ed

Re: Registering a restoration.

Post by Chairman Ed » 03 Apr 2021 07:04

Welcome to A40 ownership.

If you are a club member, the details of who to contact to help you with the DVLA application are in our club magazine Farina News.

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 03 Apr 2021 11:01

If it's a pre 63 registration without year letter, the number will likely have been sold. Good chance to get the original if it's post 63 with a suffix letter.
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Mike Hodgson

Post by Mike Hodgson » 03 Apr 2021 12:20

Makes no difference pre or post suffix Dave.
DVLA require proof of the car having the reg by virtue of old MoTs ,old tax disc ,buff log book, ideally period pics of car with plate attached and any other items that may help to prove the car owns the plate.
I had a couple refused for "lack of pre 1985 documentation" and age related registrations were issued.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 03 Apr 2021 12:54

First of all, thanks for saving another A40 - they're actually becoming quite scarce. Then, thanks for finding our Club site and I do hope the inmates more knowledgeable than me will be able to help guide you successfully through the DVLA quagmire.

Next, I cannot urge you strongly enough to join the Club - we're one of the cheapest classic vehicle clubs in the UK and our spares service is the envy of many others; all top quality stuff and a good selection of repair panels made to an exeptional (if quite expensive) standard by skilled craftsmen. The panels all fit, unlike cheaper internet stuff.

And finally, Happy Easter to you & yours, and good luck with the restoration!

Mike Hodgson

Post by Mike Hodgson » 03 Apr 2021 14:14

He is a recent club member

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 03 Apr 2021 16:51

Mike Hodgson wrote:
03 Apr 2021 12:20
Makes no difference pre or post suffix Dave.
DVLA require proof of the car having the reg by virtue of old MoTs ,old tax disc ,buff log book, ideally period pics of car with plate attached and any other items that may help to prove the car owns the plate.
I had a couple refused for "lack of pre 1985 documentation" and age related registrations were issued.
YES......of course.......wasn't thinking on those lines, never having had to do it.
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Meiri

Post by Meiri » 03 Apr 2021 22:34

Thanks for replying all.

Hi Ed, Yes I am a new member to the club and I am assuming Steve Stone would be the first club advisor for the DVLA ?
I do not understand why the DVLA could not help as the registration must be traceable to the chassis number which I supplied???

I am also looking for any advice on the interior carpets as these need replacing due to mould. I found a supplier on the bay that looks reasonable unless anyone can recommend?
Seats are in a poor way and am looking for them to be re upholstered if possible.

Haven’t had a chance to put pics up yet as the wife has had me sanding and varnishing all day 😞. Will get them on in the morning.

Meiri

Chairman Ed

Post by Chairman Ed » 04 Apr 2021 07:08

Yes, Steve Stone is our official DVLA representative. He will help you with the process.

As to carpets, I used Coverdale.

Suggest you speak to club spares man Derek Minter about upholstery.

Feel free to ask for assistance whenever you need to, there is plenty of expertise within the club to draw upon.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 04 Apr 2021 18:31

Coverdales have been used by several Club members, mostly with good reviews. There are three qualities of carpet; most of us settled for the mid-range set which come with bound edges and a decent pile. Sometimes the fit isn't 100% but for those purists who need to tailor-make them, a sharp knife and some glue usually settles any slight discrepancy. I'm well pleased with mine and didn't bother any fiddling, just "fit and forget!"

They send tiny samples of each in the range, about an inch square but perfectly adequate to get a feel and check the colour. The carpets come with a waterproof backing just in case the cabin might leak (in an A40? I hear you gasp. Surely not!!)