Our Club at the NEC Classic Car Show

Keith Bennett

Our Club at the NEC Classic Car Show

Post by Keith Bennett » 17 Nov 2021 20:03

Exactly one week ago we were all loaded up and ready to hit Hall 4 at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham the next day in preparation of setting up our display stand for the forthcoming three days of the show.

Covid restrictions meant the exhibitors' stands were a little larger than usual and the public gangways wider as well, to try and ensure more social distancing. To allow of a good distribution of fresh air, the huge loading doors were also partly open - these plans meant that the visitors (markedly fewer than previously) had more space to stroll, while the exhibitors suffered a surfeit of cold air blowing around our ears!

Nonetheless we flew the flag for our Austins and we met some very interesting people, some of whom were happy to share their memories of A40s they had owned in the past.

But of course not only were our cars one year older, but we on the stand were as well - the event left us all quite tired and jaded by this week. The worst day was Saturday; 9am to 6:30pm on duty non-stop. This meant that on Sunday - despite it being a slightly shorter show - we were obliged to strip the stand at the finish and (for some of us) a long drive back home.

No matter: we do it 'cos we enjoy it, I think . . . and here's a selection of images from the NEC Show 2021.
Mervyn and Stoney enjoy a liquid lunch during the hectic set-up day!
Mervyn and Stoney enjoy a liquid lunch during the hectic set-up day!
"Franc", chairman Ed's 1958 Mk1 left-hooker saloon which had only recently driven 850 miles to attend the show.
"Franc", chairman Ed's 1958 Mk1 left-hooker saloon which had only recently driven 850 miles to attend the show.
A very rare Tri-ang child's A40 pedal car. We were lucky enough to meet the grandson of the original owner of the company!
A very rare Tri-ang child's A40 pedal car. We were lucky enough to meet the grandson of the original owner of the company!
The interior of Ed's car.
The interior of Ed's car.
Here's "Franc" complete with skiis; he lived quite close to the snowy Pyrenees mountains, so they could have come in handy!
Here's "Franc" complete with skiis; he lived quite close to the snowy Pyrenees mountains, so they could have come in handy!
Secretary Mervyn's 1967 Mk 2 Countryman which illustrates the development between the start and finish of the A40 Farina marque.
Secretary Mervyn's 1967 Mk 2 Countryman which illustrates the development between the start and finish of the A40 Farina marque.
A small number of the huge range of top-quality body panels  available to Club members. We are now the world's largest supplier of top-quality mechanical and body parts for the A40 Farina.
A small number of the huge range of top-quality body panels available to Club members. We are now the world's largest supplier of top-quality mechanical and body parts for the A40 Farina.
Flying the flag!
Flying the flag!
The interior of Mervyn's car (note his hand-stitched upholstery).
The interior of Mervyn's car (note his hand-stitched upholstery).
Spares guru Derek (right) speaking with a visitor.
Spares guru Derek (right) speaking with a visitor.
With his back to camera, membership secretary Colin tries to reel in a new member while Derek (far left) does the same.
With his back to camera, membership secretary Colin tries to reel in a new member while Derek (far left) does the same.
Under-bonnet views of a l-h drive A40 are very, very rare, and here are a couple of shots of interested visitors . . .
Under-bonnet views of a l-h drive A40 are very, very rare, and here are a couple of shots of interested visitors . . .
NEC 13.jpg
. . . while here's a young man dreaming of the day when he might own an A40 of his own.
. . . while here's a young man dreaming of the day when he might own an A40 of his own.
Ah, the entire company, left to right: Mervyn, Colin, Teresa, Keith, Derek and Steve.
Ah, the entire company, left to right: Mervyn, Colin, Teresa, Keith, Derek and Steve.
A lucky young man who has inherited late Club member Douglas's weary Mk 1 which he intends to fully restore: a positive end to the 2021 Show!
A lucky young man who has inherited late Club member Douglas's weary Mk 1 which he intends to fully restore: a positive end to the 2021 Show!

scotty

Re: Our Club at the NEC Classic Car Show

Post by scotty » 18 Nov 2021 10:29

Great effort, to all concerned.

Andy Thompson

Post by Andy Thompson » 18 Nov 2021 16:17

Great stand and had a great time regards Andy

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 18 Nov 2021 19:27

A wonderful stand. Well done to all of you! Im so sorry that i was not able to make it.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 18 Nov 2021 20:16

It was very good to meet you, Andy, and I'm sorry we couldn't have had longer to chat but things were always hectic. Thanks for taking the trouble to visit our stand.

Andy Thompson

Post by Andy Thompson » 20 Nov 2021 16:11

Had a great time talking to everyone. My mate Steve commented what a great friendly informative stand we had. He wished his club was as good. That's praise of or you all πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸš™πŸš™

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 20 Nov 2021 18:05

I'm writing this at 6pm on Saturday and have just realised that this time last week we still had half-an-hour to go before the show ends, after having been on duty since 9am. Crippling!

Agnes

Post by Agnes » 24 Nov 2021 15:51

Well done every one for outstanding commitment to the Club and promoting our lovely cars. I am in awe of your stamina!! Sorry we could not make the trip this year

Midlife

Post by Midlife » 24 Nov 2021 19:02

All I can do is echo Agnes's post, very well done all and hopefully should be able to make it to next year's bash.

Lizclassic

Post by Lizclassic » 28 Nov 2021 22:18

Well done everyone! I completely forgot about it! Let me know next year and I can come and HELP ?