British Rail's stacking system

Post by Dave the rave » 12 Jul 2022 19:57

Found to be unworkable :-
Screenshot_20220712-140651~2.png
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Keith Bennett

Re: British Rail's stacking system

Post by Keith Bennett » 12 Jul 2022 20:18

Where was it, Dave? It looks very much like a mishap at a hump-shunting yard.

My home town of Banbury had a huge one occupying land just north-northeast of the station and us children would clamber into the bordering trees to watch the free-running wagons being skilfully diverted into the various sidings where their trains were assembled.

Over the years several men were killed as they ran beside a truck, judging when to throw their weight onto the brake levers. One slip on wet gravel and beneath the wheels they'd go.

It would only be when the north box signalman saw a section of an assembled train suddenly rear up that he'd realise a runaway truck had broken free. The entire area is now a housing estate and often the inhabitants complain bitterly about the noisy trains passing on the main lines. Like they hadn't noticed when they bought the ruddy house!

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 12 Jul 2022 21:22

I will have travelled past the yard at Banbury many times in the 70s. Have no memory at all now of how it looked.
This incident was at Washwood Heath in Brum. There was a BIG yard there, either side of the Birmingham to Derby main line.
I sent the pic to my mate in I-O-M, who worked on the railways for about 40 years. Saltley in Brum being one place, which is a couple of miles from Washwood Heath. Must have happened in the 60's, as it was well known about. At least it was before 1973/74 as the shunter is in it's original number. ALL locos were renumbered into the continental system.
The driver was a Mr Steadman. Consequently known as Stacker Steadman.
Screenshot_20220712-140418~2.png
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 13 Jul 2022 11:19

I just hope the guard wasn't having a quiet cuppa in his van!

"Stacker Steadman" indeed.