unwelcome photo!

Keith Bennett

unwelcome photo!

Post by Keith Bennett » 07 Jan 2023 20:42

Around one mid-day, during that recent bitingly cold snap last month, I was en route to see an ill friend of mine. Hardly any traffic about, light dusting of powdery snow/frost on the road, a very low sun and my mind not entirely focussed on my driving. Unfortunately, a speed camera happened to be very focussed on me!

First I knew about it was a letter a few days later informing me that Northamptonshire Police intended prosecuting me for doing 35mph in a 30 zone. Fair enough, fair cop. Irritating though, 'cos I've driven Gab for 56 years and this will be my first speeding prosecution. To my relief I was offered a Speed Awareness Course ("ninety-five quid please, squire") and, due to Covid-19 restrictions, it will shortly be taken via my computer in the warmth and comfort of Bennett Towers. Providing I complete the three-hour course satisfactorily there will be no points added to my pristine license and I'm not obliged to inform Gab's insurance company of my wickedness.
speedy gab.jpg
Never having seen an action picture of yours truly before, I was greatly amused to see how the old barrow appears to be tiptoeing through Aynho village with her trusty crossplies seemingly hardly touching the road! Sharp eyes might spot the frost particles being kicked up behind her as she speeds along.

The episode reminds me of that old joke about a chap being offered a ticket to the Policeman's Ball.
"No thanks," he said. "I can't dance."
And back came the reply, "It's not a dance ticket, it's a raffle ticket."

Happy Days.
Last edited by Keith Bennett on 08 Jan 2023 09:15, edited 1 time in total.

sid

Re: unwelcome photo!

Post by sid » 08 Jan 2023 08:17

You naughty boy! I see they're still using covid restrictions' though :roll:

Dave the rave

Post by Dave the rave » 08 Jan 2023 13:53

Oops oops kwak......... :mrgreen:
If in doubt....kick the Ruskies OUT ❗

scotty

Post by scotty » 09 Jan 2023 08:54

I did not think they could get accurate speed from the opposite side of the road, I understood there was an alignment angle to the nearside kerb to give an accurate speed, obviously wrong.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 09 Jan 2023 18:08

No use arguing with The Man, Scotty, especially on such a cold day.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 10 Jan 2023 18:58

Phew, successful result today after the three-hour course.

So what did I learn? For most drivers, their modern car is so well built and insulated they find it hard to slow from the cruise down to congested urban roads ( the specific location of speed cameras!)

They're not there as cash cows but to try to lower pedestrian impacts, which takes a very heavy toll on personal health, on unexpected hospital admissions and on long-term remedial care.

Sadly there is a depressing catalogue of driver selfishness which adds to other drivers ' stress including junction blocking, road rages, inconsiderate parking and the unfortunate habits and mind-set of a small proportion of drivers in large 4x4s. (And yes, the road traffic boys do watch specifically for offences made by those drivers.)

A very informative and instructive course and frustratingly one can only access it AFTER committing some offence!

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 19 Jan 2023 22:11

I still can't believe this Keith! When you think people speed much more then that! Lovely picture of Gab mind! I'm so glad all went well with the course though. I myself am very careful not to speed. Though I confess it is easy to do. Just goes to show they can pick up the old style plates

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 21 Jan 2023 19:05

Now that Monty's no longer able to access the posts I can say that the day I was nicked was the day I was hurrying to see him, prompted by an urgent call from his wife who knew that time was fast running out for him and he wanted to see me re the future of his Countryman.

A sad duty but one I had to do.