Mk1 Countryman available soon

Keith Bennett

Mk1 Countryman available soon

Post by Keith Bennett » 04 Feb 2023 21:39

Monty White, a Club member who died a few weeks ago, has bequeathed his A40 to the Club so that it may be restored and brought back into use. Discussions are on-going as to how this can happen (watch this space for contact details in a while...) but, to whet the appetite of anyone with the necessary skills who wants to save this historic vehicle, here are some shots of it.
OSJ 728 front view.jpg
OSJ 728 rear view.jpg
OSJ 728 front floors.jpg
OSJ 728 hedlamp area.jpg
OSJ 728 offside door frame.jpg
OSJ 728 nearside door inner.jpg
Initial inspection on Saturday 4th February 2023 of OSJ 728, belonging to our late Club member number 3403 Monty White. His 1959 Mk1 De-luxe Countryman is finished in Sutherland Green with grey seats trimmed with pale blue (faded green?) piping, was first registered 6th January 1961 and last taxed on 30th November 2007. The odometer shows 41116.

For some years it's been stored outside beneath a waterproof cover and parked on a free-draining pebble driveway right by a village road and in consequence there is no damp apparent within the car, just light surface rusting of the dashboard; the interior paintwork and brightwork are in very good condition. The shell itself displays no sign of accident damage (eg distortion or dents) and all doors close easily with clearly defined shut gaps although I was unable to view the offside due to the car being parked next to a hedge. The lower front edge of the bonnet is very rotten but the bonnet itself is intact with no evidence of it accidentally being blown open and distorted and so is easily repaired. The two doors open and close very well and fit the shell as they should. Naturally there's some evidence of paint bubbling in their lower corners but the lower frames are in remarkable condition given their age. The lower boot area is rusty and the hinges have been reinforced with body-colour painted strenghtening patches well done. It operates with no problems. The rear window (a replacement unit) was left in primer and so needs some attention but, like the bootlid, still fits prefectly. I believe the original unit is buried in a garage along with some other repair panels which themselves are steel and appear well made. They may indeed have been supplied by the Club. Two fibreglass wings are included in the lot. The front and back bumpers have no dreadful dents in them and appear perfectly serviceable. The rear springs don't look like they've sagged, so perhaps the mileage shown is correct.

The floors are totally rusted out but Monty had fitted new inner and outer sills in readiness for adding the new floor panels which I understand are to be found in one of his monumentally untidy garages. The 948 engine in the car looks very original but I didn't have the opportunity to try turning it over. It's quite obvious that every mechanical item will require at the very least overhauling and at the worst, replacing. There is somewhere at least a second engine to be found and also a spare petrol tank. Apart from the driver's seat all the others are stored in a dry loft (not inspected by me today) but Monty's widow is quite certain they'll be in as good condition as the seat within the car, which is very good indeed. The driver's seat always suffers from the most wear but this one appears not to have sagged badly. There may be a carpet set and perhaps the door panels squirreled away in the house somewhere.

Monty asked me to visit him shortly before he died, in order to gift the car to our Club. We discussed its condition (I'd yet to inspect it) and he was of the opinion it can be easily saved especially with the extra panels the Club can supply. No price was asked, Monty being very pragmatic and accepting that with so much work to be undertaken, it'll only be worth what an enthusiast is willing to pay, but a Mk1 Countryman will always repay investment in a restoration. We came to the agreement that Pat, his widow, deserves half the sale price, which is naturally only fair. Despite him being so desperately ill, between doses of morphine and other meds he was still able to raise a chuckle and tell me that whoever has the car next, they'll need a trailer to collect it! Monty also praised our Club for its spares service and the welcome advice so freely given via the website or by telephone. Finally he expressed sadness that his life was over and he still had so many more plans for the future. It was a sobering visit, especially when we realise that time is running out for all of us. Enjoy our lives whilst we can. Rest in Peace, Monty.

austina40sam

Re: Mk1 Countryman available soon

Post by austina40sam » 04 Feb 2023 22:03

So very well said Keith. Monty was a super chap who would also help on the forum. May he rest in peace.

JohnH

Post by JohnH » 04 Feb 2023 23:26

So sad to read that.

Wish I had the room!

sid

Post by sid » 05 Feb 2023 09:35

wish i had the skills!