E10 - here it comes!

Keith Bennett

E10 - here it comes!

Post by Keith Bennett » 26 Feb 2021 20:41

Remember when the government announced that leaded petrol (remember that??) would still be available from 'many' local outlets? Well we all know what happened to that promise. And now, what must be of great concern to all owners of classic vehicles, here's a press release from the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs:

FBHVC clarifies the introduction of E10 petrol for historic vehicle owners

Published: 26/02/2021

After an extensive consultation process, the Department for Transport has announced that they will legislate to introduce E10 petrol as the standard 95-octane petrol grade by 1 September 2021. They will also require the higher-octane 97+ ‘Super’ grades to remain E5 to provide protection for owners of older vehicles. This product will be designated as the ‘Protection’ grade.

The introduction of the 95-octane E10 grade and the maintenance of the Super E5 protection grade will be reviewed by the Government after 5 years to ensure they remain appropriate to the needs of the market. In relation to the E5 protection grade, such a review will examine market developments over the period. HM Government have sought to reassure FBHVC members and historic vehicle owners that, without a suitable alternative becoming available, it is highly likely the Super E5 protection grade would continue to be available.

Filling stations that stock 2 grades of petrol and supply at least one million litres of fuel in total each year, will need to ensure one product is the Super E5 protection grade. While not all filling stations meet these criteria, almost all towns across the UK will have a filling station that supplies the ‘Super’ grade and currently one major retailer, a national supermarket group, has committed to offer the product. The main exception to this is in certain parts of the Highlands, north and west coast of Scotland, which will be covered by an exemption process and allowed to continue to market the 95-octane E5 grade.

The Federation therefore recommends that all vehicles produced before 2000 and some vehicles from the early 2000s that are considered non-compatible with E10 - should use the Super E5 Protection grade where the Ethanol content is limited to a maximum of 5%. To check compatibility of vehicles produced since 2000, we recommend using the new online E10 compatibility checker: https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol

It should be noted that some Super E5 Protection grade products do not contain Ethanol as the E5 designation is for fuels containing up to 5% Ethanol. Product availability varies by manufacturer and geographical location and enthusiasts should check the situation in their location.

austina40sam

Re: E10 - here it comes!

Post by austina40sam » 26 Feb 2021 20:43

I think I'm right in saying that in most parts of the uk Esso super unleaded is free from the stuff.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 06 Sep 2021 21:03

I think the sudden arrival of E10 at the majority of pumps a few days ago took many people by surprise especially in the classic vehicle fraternity. The basic facts are: any petrol forecourt which only has two guns will be of no use to us - they have diesel and E10 petrol only. Larger forecourts with three or four guns will have at least one pump, perhaps more, marked as E5 and that fuel is normally "Super". Gone are the days of cheap E5 - in one fell swoop the government has severely restricted the opportunity to purchase fuel suitable for thousands of motorists.

My mechanic uses a product called Tunap 974 www.tunap.co.uk which he has used to clean through fuel lines, tanks, carburettors etc especially on vehicles which have not run for a long time. Gary recommended I add this to my Austin A40 Farina and to my VW Type 2 camper to protect them should I need to add E10 when E5 isn't available. (For diesel engines, Tunap's 984 is recommended.)

The fuel tank should be filled as much as possible to the top and then the bottle is poured in. Once back on the road (in a quiet location) endevour to swill the fuel around as much as the tank's baffles will allow by swerving from side to side, and by harsh braking to slop the contents around. Naturally this action must not be done on busy roads!

Give the vehicle a run of at least five miles to ensure the product has really found its way through the fuel lines and into the engine, whether injected or carburettored. From then on, add a second bottle every 10,000 miles to ensure full protection. It seems the size of the tank is immaterial; once the product is added, it will disperse throughout the fuel currently held in the tank and thus throughout the system.

Below is reproduced the salient facts held in Tunap's information sheet:

:: Company established for over 30 years; their 974 and 984 products have the following benefits -

:: Strong injection system cleaner
:: Cleans injectors, fuel lines and tank
:: Contains octane booster
:: Boosts octane level reducing risk of engine knodk and pinking
:: Contains anti-oxidants, stops oxydation in fuel systems
:: Removes moisture from ethanol
:: Safely carries moisture through the combustion process, reducing the risk of damage to engine parts due to alcohol corrosion and water contamination
:: Has "keep clean" technology
:: Adds microscopic coating to prevent re-contamination of tank, fuel lines and injectors
:: Reduces emissions and improves fuel consumption

I wondered out loud whether I would see any improvement in the VW's performance. After we'd stopped rolling on the floor and weeping with laughter, Gary suggested I didn't look too closely at that hope! This article is only a personal view. There will be many other products turning up, but he trusts Tunap because it's used by the motor industry already and is a proven additive.

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 07 Sep 2021 19:43

Have you started to you this Tunap stuff Keith, I would be keen to see what you think of it.

Keith Bennett

Post by Keith Bennett » 07 Sep 2021 20:14

Yes Sam, both Gab and the VW have been treated. The fluid appears to have no smell and it poured quite easily into the filler necks. Gary wouldn't recommend it if he hadn't had previous experience with it. It apparently dissolves the varnish-like gum which clogs carburettors during long storage and also improves the tick-over too, quite apart from protecting the fuel system completely from the ravages of ethanol.

So far as my own experience goes, it's only been a few days since adding the elixir but I shall certainly report back, especially on Gab's behalf (she does many more miles than the VW and so results will appear more quickly). I'm sure there are - or soon will be - other products which will/should achieve the same result but as the Tunap company have seemingly been around for 30-odd years, they must have considerable experience in the game.

Colin

Post by Colin » 07 Sep 2021 23:30

When ever I read items on fuel, I realise there must be a big difference in petrol here and there. We have only 2 grades -91 and 98 octane both unleaded in this country. Since Alice has been in my care only 91 unleaded has been used without any additive or pinking, I regularly check valve clearance, hoping that will show any valve recession, no resetting needed in both 1098 and 1275 engines. When I sold 1098 engine I removed cylinder head to show colour of combustion chamber and plugs and valve condition. There was no valve recession. When I attend the American Car Clubs breakfast I must ask them about fuel used and thoughts.

Ben Morong

Post by Ben Morong » 08 Sep 2021 01:29

In the U.S. our gas has been 10% ethanol for years, and we've experienced problems in older cars, tractors, lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc. (particularly air cooled engines, which run hotter than water cooled engines) and there are various products advertised to remedy the problems but my only experience is with Marvel Mystery Oil, a product that has been in use here since 1923. It is not specifically advertised to prevent ethanol-gas problems, but it seems to, in addition to preventing carbon buildup. I add it every time I fill up our MG Midget which we've had since 1995, and I've had no problems. I also use it in our yard machines. I don't know if it's available worldwide, but I hope so.

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 08 Sep 2021 09:18

Right okay Keith, well if your happy with it Keith then it is something that I may well add to my Ruby.

austina40sam

Post by austina40sam » 26 Sep 2021 21:58

Keith, are you still happy with this product? I am thinking of getting a couple of bottles tomorrow for both my a 40 and for Daniels traveller. Where I am Esso super unleaded is ethanol free but all other stations such as BP ect have ethanol in there super fuels so I think the additive would be very wise to protect the car.