Disc Brake conversion

Ask for help in using these forums
Midlife

Disc Brake conversion

Post by Midlife » 23 Mar 2020 17:02

I am finally restoring my Mk2 after owning it since 1984! I am replacing the front drum brakes with disc brakes. I have all the bits such as the MG midge hubs and a new midget disc and caliper set. However the brake hoses will have to be routed differently. I have worked out that the new brake hoses will have to be about 42-45 cm long if using the original body mounted pipe brackets and feed them between the coil spring and stub axle. Is there a recommended method for this upgrade. I should be able to engineer a solution but don't want to reinvent the wheel (or disc conversion!). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Peter
(Midlife)
IMG_20200322_172423959.jpg

Stoney13

Re: Disc Brake conversion

Post by Stoney13 » 23 Mar 2020 19:56

please do not root them though the coil springs :o
please either buy longer ones preferably braided and either fit to front inner wings or make new holes in the rear of inner wings .
other ways are either putting the stubs on the other side and remove steering arms respectively but remember that the callipers must have the bleed nipples to the top as it wont bleed properly,
please b e careful as these are brakes that you are doing and at least your life on the line..... ;)

Midlife

Re: Disc Brake conversion

Post by Midlife » 23 Mar 2020 22:51

Many thanks Stoney. I wasn't gong to route the brake hose through the coil spring and I am going to use braided hoses. The re-routing through the inner wing is probably the best solution.

Cheers

Peter